Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Will Not Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 pbpd81

pbpd81

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:44 AM

I have a compaq computer running windows 98 and when I turn it on all I get is a black screen with Parity Check 2_ . I tried booting from the start up disk but it will not even begin reading the disk. I left the computer on for over 5 hours and it never booted. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

Check this out (Maybe it'll help):

http://www.umich.edu/~archive/msdos/un_indexed/memory.txt

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 pbpd81

pbpd81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for the help but I had already read that article. My computer does not come up with the 4 digit error code it talks about it also states a PARITY CHECK 2 message identifies a memory error on a memory expansion board, I do not have a memroy expansion board. I thought possibly it was some kind virus.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:34 PM

Please post some system details and take a quick L@@K. Help us to help you. :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:30 PM

I am 97% sure that memory parity errors are POST errors - or errors given by the system board power on self test. This is a hardware issue. If the computer will start by pressing a F key (ex F1) you can try to run memtest86 from a floppy. This program is a free memory diagnostic that can be run from a floppy. Download it here: Memtest86

Good luck,

Rigel

Edited by rigel, 15 January 2006 - 08:34 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

it also states a PARITY CHECK 2 message identifies a memory error on a memory expansion board

I agree with the MemTest check. For the purposes of that article WlkingMan quoted, a memory expansion board would be a stick of ram. The symptoms indicate that your ram has failed. If you have more than one ram stick, try them one at a time.

Edited by Leurgy, 15 January 2006 - 05:51 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 pbpd81

pbpd81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:09 PM

I'm sorry I'm not sure what system details you are asking for. It is a Compaq Presario 5062 running Windows 98. And I'm not sure how to explain the problem any clearer. When I turn on the computer the screen is solid black and has "Parity Check 2_" in the upper left corner, the screen never changes the computer will not come on. The only thing I have tried is to boot from a start up disk which did not work. I will try starting it with an F key and running the memtest. Thanks

Edited by pbpd81, 15 January 2006 - 05:15 PM.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,924 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

Well hat's enough for the moment,thanks. Now follow what Rigel and Leurgy recommend. Also I might add to clean out the inside of the case. Get the dust out: fans,power supply,slots in case etc...
Let us know how the memtest goes..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:32 PM

Hi pbpd81,

Replace the memory. If you have more than one stick, remove them one at a time until the problem disappears - trial and error method to find the problem. If you only have one stick of memory, you must replace that stick.

Good luck...

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#10 pbpd81

pbpd81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 02:25 PM

I changed the battery, cleaned the memory card and inside the computer and it seems to be working fine now. Thanks so much for all your help and suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users