Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Blinks Every Two Seconds

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CompletelyDazed

CompletelyDazed

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hello,

I have a 2 year old Lenovo Y430 laptop running Vista 64b. The screen briefly blinks (or flickers) every two seconds. I've updated the driver -- no change. Have also plugged the laptop into the TV -- no blinking on the TV, and the blinking actually stopped on the laptop for about ten minutes, then resumed.

I used to be able to stop the blinking by setting energy management to the highest setting, but that doesn't work anymore.

Is the screen shot, or could there be some other issue at play here?

Thanks for your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:46 PM

What happens in safe mode?

#3 CompletelyDazed

CompletelyDazed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Hi Allan -- thanks very much for offering to assist.

I still get the blinking in safe mode.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:15 PM

Sounds to me like the screen needs to be repaired or replaced.

#5 CompletelyDazed

CompletelyDazed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:34 PM

I've just been reading that this is a common problem with the Y430. I called Lenovo and though it is a problem experienced by many owners, they won't replace the screen unless I pay for it. I expected more than two years.

Is replacing a screen a big deal? Where is it on the DIY scale?

By the way, just to taunt me, the screen has stopped blinking.

#6 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:38 PM

Just my 2 cents here what you are describing to me sounds like the LCD inverter is having issues. I would sujest you try and replace it as the inverter is far cheaper than a LCD pannel.If the screen on your laptop is dimming or not working at all, the fault may lie in the Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 Inverter --the device that powers the screen's backlight. Replacing an Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 LCD inverter will require some finesse, but you do not need a technical background. If you are comfortable with opening up your laptop, then this is a do-it-yourself project.

1. Unplug your laptop and remove the battery pack and laptop ac adapter.

2. Locate the rubber screw covers around your laptop screen. There are typically four, but some models may have more.

3. Remove the screw covers. Take care not to lose any. They pop off and, if you are not careful, could go flying.

4. Place your fingers between the front bezel (the plastic piece around the LCD screen) and the screen. Gently work your way around the screen to remove the front bezel and expose the screen assembly.

5. Remove the inverter from the screen assembly. It is held on by tape in most models. In some models the Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 Inverter may be right at the bottom of the screen assembly, below the actual LCD. Other models have the Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 LCD inverter behind the screen. To disassemble the screen, you will need to either unscrew the screen from its metal holder, or just lift the screen out to expose the inverter.

6. Disconnect the wires leading from the Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 Inverter. One wire goes to the backlight, while the other goes to the video card.

7. Look on the back of the Lenovo IdeaPad Y430 LCD inverter for a model number or serial number. Having this exact number will make it easier to order a replacement.

8. Connect the video wire and the backlight wire into the new Lenovo inverter and affix it using the tape that held the original in place. If you do not have that tape anymore, or it has lost its adhesiveness, you can buy more from computer parts retailers.

9. Put the screen back in place if you need to, and snap the front bezel back on.

10. Screw the front bezel screws back in, and place the screw covers back in place.

http://cgi.ebay.com/IBM-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y430-LCD-Inverter-Board-IV10135T-/280714810010?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415be8129a
is a link to an inverter for your unit for 3.99 USD

I hope this helps

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#7 CompletelyDazed

CompletelyDazed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

Hi Larry,

Thanks very much for your reply and for all the helpful info -- I appreciate it. I'm not sure whether I have a CCFL screen or an LED screen. Would an LED screen use an inverter? How can I tell whether I have CCFL or LED?

Thank you again.

#8 CompletelyDazed

CompletelyDazed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 09:05 AM

By the way, no blink for the first 1+ hours of use this morning, and then the blinking resumed. Every two seconds.

#9 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:02 PM

By all system specs from lenovo your model only shipped with a LCD (LED NOT AVAILABLE) a full part description I have for this model of screen is LTN141AT03 LAPTOP LCD SCREEN 14.1" WXGA CCFL. BTW. LED screens have a built in LED controller board and no seperate inverter to speak of.
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users