Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal to external hard drive (External enclosure)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kamador451

kamador451

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

I'm interested in this product but I want to it to be an external instead of internal. Also, from experience I realize that choosing an external enclosure yourself is more reliable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145493

I interested in this external enclosure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817173042

I just checking if it will work. More specifically the internal interface of this enclosure is sata I/II but the internal hard drive interface is SATA 6.0Gb/s or Sata III does that mean it won't work with this enclosure or it will work but not to it's fullest potential?

Also my motherboard can only run up to SATA 3Gbps will this be a problem?

And other than these is there anything else I need to consider?

Edited by kamador451, 01 August 2011 - 12:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 techdragon2

techdragon2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:39 PM

The SATA 3 HDD is compatible with the SATA 2 enclosure as well as your mobo. But it won't run at the full speed of SATA 3. It's like using a USB 2.0 device in a USB 1.1 port, it'll work but it'll be slower.

#3 kamador451

kamador451
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

by half, right? and they will work together, right? meaning it's compatible with a 3tb

Edited by kamador451, 01 August 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#4 techdragon2

techdragon2

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Roughly yes. Other factors can weigh in to the speed such as the number of read/write commands you have going at the same time as well as what port you use. The enclosure says it can use USB or eSATA so naturally you'd use the eSATA connection as I'm assuming you are from your earlier post.

Yes, all the SATA versions are backwards compatible so yes it will work, just at a slower speed than the HDD can actually perform at.

Edited by techdragon2, 01 August 2011 - 10:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users