Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot drive cloning IDE to SATA

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 inventor1488

inventor1488

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

SO. I have a friend who has TONS of flies on his XP machine (Dell Dimension B110, 160GB IDE HDD, 1GB DDR, 2.53GHz Celeron D) arranged in a way that reimaging a new drive and copying the files over won't be very effective. I decided to clone his drive- but was not about to clone it to another IDE hard drive because he probably wont have the computer for another year or two anyway. The drive I cloned to was a 320GB 7200RPM Seagate SATA on a VIA PCI to SATA adapter. When booted from his IDE drive- the PCI to SATA adapter (which required a driver from a CD) is viewed as a SCSI adapter in the device manager.

I used XXClone to complete the image- which looks like it went well. But when I restarted the computer a second hard drive or boot option was not listed. So from there I used XXClone's "cool tools" to "make [target] bootable" by writing MBR, Boot sector, and BOOT.ini to the target SATA drive. This got me somewhere- but still not to the OS from the SATA drive. Instead of getting two "Windows XP Home"'s as boot choices I got the original IDE XP Home OS and "XXCLONE: (Target volume) [D:1,P:1] 298.09 GB". If I select the XXClone option I get an error:

"Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

I played with the Boot.INI settings on both the IDE and SATA drives and now they look like this:

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SATA:
[boot loader]
Timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows= "Windows XP Home Edition" /fast detect /NoExecute=OptIn
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

IDE (by the way- there are two partitions on this drive, Windows is #2):
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default= multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\Windows= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=OptIn /fastdetect
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows= "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /noexecute=OptIn

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ALL I WANT TO DO IS BOOT OFF THE SATA DRIVE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

The SATA drive...does not have its own boot.ini file...in a dual-boot system.

The two O/Ses must appear on the same boot.ini or other boot files...for a dual-boot system to exist.

Since both O/Ses are XP, the complicating factor is the use of the SATA connector, rather than being able to simply connect the drive to the motherboard.

It's normal for a SATA drive to appear as SCSI in the native BIOS of a system. If the SATA drive's drivers are not loaded at boot, XP cannot detect that drive on a system without native SATA support (normally).

What does the BIOS reflect...regarding hard drives installed? Is the SATA drive reflected there?

If the SATA drive is properly reflected in the BIOS...then it will probably be listed as a SCSI drive.

Since I'm not sure just what you have done/undone with your efforts regarding the boot.ini file, please post a xreenshot of it, not data you obtained by using msconfig.

If both drives appear on the boot.ini file, then it would seem that we can edit the boot.ini file to reflect both installs...resulting in the dual-boot option when the system is first started.

Louis

#3 inventor1488

inventor1488
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:31 PM

What does the BIOS reflect...regarding hard drives installed? Is the SATA drive reflected there?

Louis

The BIOS does not list the new hard drive either as SATA or SCSI. Does that mean that since the BIOS is not configured to see the drive it cannot boot to the SATA drive from the PCI controller?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well...I would say that...if the BIOS doesn't see a hard drive...it might as well not be attached (unless you have another BIOS, a situation that occurs when using a controller card).

I can tell you how things WOULD be, if you were using a controller card...but that is not the way things necessarily are on your system.

What's the model number and manufacturer for this IDE-to-SATA device?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users