Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Turns out OpenSUSE is right for me(according to quiz)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 scurvychef

scurvychef

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

I took the quiz posted at the top of this forum. I says OpenSUSE is 100% for me, whilst Ubuntu (my current) 95% for me. My DVD just finished.

any warnings before the big switch?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:40 AM

Backup your current files and make sure you have a windows installed disc for your computer so that you can go back if need be. :)
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:32 PM

just back up your current files if you got any, if not then install away. The nice thing about linux is its free, if you dont like it you can just uninstall it and try another flavor.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

Backup your current files and make sure you have a windows installed disc for your computer so that you can go back if need be. :)

Yeah, I have Ubuntu, and love it. I will back that up. as far as windows: there is no and won't be any back ups. haha.

I was just wondering if anyone likes or dislikes SUSE over Ubuntu?

#5 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:57 AM

scur look on my thread cheesemakers- linux corner i have a link to a side by side comparison of suse and ubuntu
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#6 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:02 AM

will do.. what is cheesemakers anyway?

#7 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:17 PM

Holy LINKS! that is a good thread rburk! I will have to go back through and read some of the other posts you have there. I did get a chance to read the openSuse VS Ubuntu (after i found it on page 17 of 18 hahah!). Hopefully all of the downfalls he was saying SUSE had have been worked out in the newest version I downloaded.

I am a little intimidated jumping to something that doesn't have as much support... :mellow: :mellow:

#8 scurvychef

scurvychef
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:19 PM

open SUSE is pretty neat so far. a much bigger and useful OS than Ubuntu as far as I can tell thus far.(been running it since last night)

Can anyone tell me if there are automatic updates or even a software center like Ubuntu has? I would like to get brasero back(dont care too much for k3b). any tips on finding all the drivers I don't have anymore? Maybe a few free games?

#9 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,981 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:28 PM

scur if you cant install brasero from the suse spm here are some links for a deb install
http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/brasero-common/download
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 09:45 PM

Im a big OpenSuSe fan, as far as the linux distro I use most of the time on my PCs, its what I use. I use ubuntu or linuxmint a lot for custumer machines because theyre small and I can boot them from a small flash drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users