Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"The system cannot detect the device..." (onboard graphics)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GSGregg

GSGregg

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:10 AM

Hello, all;

Trying to find a working driver for a new, but under-performing video card, I made the mistake of disabling my onboard graphics (actually, somehow I did more than just disable) while the new card was also disabled. (I subsequently found the procedure for re-enabling the card in Device Manager by using Narrator) I got this computer used, and apparently something like this had happened before, because the IGP was Microsoft's VgaSave which, I have read, is installed by Windows on a comp that has no driver available/installed.

I want to regain onboard GFX as a backup for when I'm switching drivers on the new card; having no luck with VgaSave, I decided to go after the original SiS315 'Real 256E' that came on the ECS (SiS) 661FX-M7 motherboard.

I've tried installing two drivers; Univga3-384 from ECS, and SiS660 from SiS. The 661FX chipset is on both lists of supported sets, and not surprisingly the drivers are almost identical---even down to the Error dialog "The system cannot detect the device, please confirm that the device is configured properly and then restart the setup program."

Obviously the original driver/s got removed, but The Device? Isn't that actually the chipset itself? I'm positive that there was no smoke from the tower indicating a chip self-destructing a la Mission Impossible. <_< I wonder if part of the 'device' was in the BIOS; if so, would 'flashing'/updating(?) the BIOS give the downloaded driver something to latch onto?

Thanks for any insight;

GSGregg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 01:08 PM

First, please check on BIOS setting does your onboard VGA has been Disabled or not.
Second, please check on your Device Manager does any yellow mark or not.
Third, please go to Control Panel - Add / Remove Program, find any program that related to VGA and uninstall it and reboot your system, if you doesn't know or doesn't make mistake you could go to device manager and uninstall your VGA driver and reboot your system, after your system reboot please wait until your system recognized your VGA, after that you could manually upgrade your VGA (using driver from your Driver CD will much better).

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#3 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello, abauw; thank you for replying.

My operating system is XP Media Center edition, SP3, and for whatever reason, enabling and disabling VGA is done in Adapter/s > Properties (accessible through either My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager.....OR.....Control Panel > Display > Settings > Advanced > Adapter.....). There is no provision for this in BIOS. Enable VGA Mode is one of the Advanced Options (F8 at boot) but selecting it has no effect.

There are no red 'X'es or yellow marks in Device Manager or Add & Remove Programs; in fact, there is no longer any mention of VGA there or in System Information. I remember reading about a couple of files that had to be replaced/reloaded to reattain VgaSave, but forgot what they are and where I read about them. Since I did find drivers and specifications for my original SiS315 IGP, I decided to try reinstalling that instead.

I do have a CD that I borrowed just to boot into Recovery Console for a few simple things, but the OS copy has a different key from mine, and I'd like to avoid doing a reinstall. If I can just get the "device" re-detected. :rolleyes:

Gregg

#4 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:36 AM

Well, it seems that this is a common enough problem, but is without a common solution other than a reinstall of XP. Not ready for that yet, I've again looked into reenabling/reinstalling VgaSave instead of SiS315.

At one point there was no mention of Vgasave (or SiS315---or even my monitor) in Device Manager or System Information; I did a System Restore to the day the new card was installed (this predated the loss of onboard graphics), and regained only my monitor info. I'm now considering changing back to my old card and selecting an earlier restore Point, but not until I've tried everything possible with the new card in place.

I used Recovery Console and checked; VgaSave is still set at Service_System_Start. I took current screenshots of the vgasave entries in Registry Edit, but don't really know how to interpret what I'm reading. Does anybody see a clue to what the problem is?

Thanks for reading.

GSG

Attached Files

#5 GSGregg

GSGregg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:25 AM

My system still cannot 'detect the device', but VgaSave is back and 'working properly'. I accessed Device Manager > View > Show hidden devices, expanded Non-Plug and Play devices, and there it was/is (with a little red 'X') as though it never left.

Funny thing, though; while it can be disabled in Device Manager, it apparently can be enabled only in Advanced Options (F8 during bootup) with Enable Vga Mode. All I have to do now is remember to be certain that the video card is enabled before disabling VgaSave, and I can resume my driver hunt. If/when I get the time.

abauw; Thanks again (your English is fine).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users