Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Cam

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 moony

moony

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:30 AM

hi all

i am trying to have a video conversation using msn messenger and yahoo messenger but everytime i do i lose my sound and it is replaces with white noise this happens after about 1-3 minutes of starting, i have tried everything i know from using a seperate mic to the one on my webcam to reconfiguring my webcam, sound card i have also done all the video/audio cofigurations on msn and yahoo and still it happens, when the white noise starts it stays like that for about 5 minutes then clears for about 1-3 minutes again then back to the white noise....i am using a PB-WC100 USB Camara, my sound card is a creative soundblaster 24 bit. i am running windows xp with sp2.....when i use my webcam for creating a movie i have no problems it only happens when i try to use it for webcamming on msn messenger and yahoo messenger.

hope someone can help

moony

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 05:59 AM

bump

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 January 2006 - 10:53 AM

Well, have you tried using alternate programs (like NetMeeting, etc)? Since this occurs both in MSN and Yahoo - I'd tend to think that it's issues with your connection - have you checked the settings for that?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:26 AM

tried netmeeting its the same with that, you say check seetings with my connection... im not sure exactly what you want me to check, can you elaborate please

moony

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 11:28 AM

What kind of connection to the internet do you have? Also, what kind of security software are you using? The answers to these questions will enable us to figure out where the problem may lie.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 02:23 PM

im not using a firewall and my connection is 2meg dsl

also i just intalled skype and the same is happening with that so i think you are right in saying its connection of some sort that is causing the problem the thing is what?? could it be my sound card? ive only had my pc for 10 months so its not as if its an old pc!!

Edited by moony, 16 January 2006 - 04:33 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

You can have the DSL folks test your connection. Also, try finding out what the folks that you're talking to are using for internet. You may find a causitive relationship there (it happened with my cable internet years ago - it turned out the my wife was on dialup and that was causing it).

#8 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:06 PM

this is starting to get to technical for me. in english would be nice, and i cant really see what my connection has to do with it, at most i think its my webcam playing up but wanted to be sure, anyway i think i'll give calling the dsl people a miss thank you (i wouldnt know what to say to them anyway)

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

Sorry, I sometimes get carried away with this technical stuff until someone comes along to calm me down! :thumbsup:

Each program (MSN, Yahoo, and Skype) uses a different protocol to access the web.

So, the picture from your web cam transfers to each program as it's needed, then it goes through your internet connection and out into the web.

You can trace the problem in several ways. One is to start with your webcam and move on from there. The other is to start with the people that you're talking with and move back towards your computer.

First, I'd find out what sort of internet connection the folks that you're talking (and have problems with) to have for their computer. I've found that most of these problems are related to the connection itself, rather than the hardware of one person.

Also, if you can eliminate the connection as the cause - then you've got a start on troubleshooting the problem. And then you can move on from there.

Other things to try:
1) another webcam (to see if the problem goes away)
2) repair of your network connection (right click on the network connection and select "Repair")
3) If you have a router, try connecting straight to the DSL modem from your PC to see if the router is causing it.
4) Reinstall your network card drivers
5) Reinstall your DSL modem
6) try another NIC card (they're about $15 at Best Buy).
7) Try a trial period for one of the "pay for" services to see if this fixes it.

#10 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

ok here is a list of things i have tried

1, tried a new webcam
2, updated driver on sound card
3, updated driver on network card
4, updated driver on modem
5, repaired my network connection

i give up

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2006 - 04:22 PM

Well, it's obvious that you've fixed the problem since you've done everything that we've suggested - I'd suggest having your ears cleaned out! :thumbsup: JUST KIDDING! These are very vexing problems and they can take quite a lot of time to sort out!

All you tell the DSL people is that you want your line checked because you're getting a lot of interference. Once you get to the right folks, they can look it up on a screen at their desk.

Anyhow, I'm grasping at straws here. Are there any electical appliances, TV's, wireless phones, etc near the computer or it's wires? Could they be causing interference?

#12 climber

climber

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:38 AM

i feel your frustration moony - you have just explained the exact symptoms that my laptop has!! very annoying. I too have tried everything mentioned and probably more over the last 4 months, however the noise still appears. It is not related to any internet connection as when I record a video through the webcam while not connected to the web, the noise appears in the recording!!!

I have looked around other forums and have noticed other people having the same issues - and its not related to one type of laptop. No one seems to have a fix for it!!!

I am almost at the point of selling the laptop and forking out for a new one

HELP!!!

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:46 AM

Just a thought but how much Ram is in these computers? Video/Audio streaming is a very intense application that requires a lot of Ram.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 moony

moony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

i have 512 ram which should be enough by a long way

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

Depending on what's running on the system - and what kind of CPU you have - 512 may still not be enough!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users