Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two or one ram card?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,468 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:49 PM

I have a mac mini and I was wondering what if any advantages there were to two 2GB ram cards to one 4GB ram card? Because I am looking to buy either or. I might just bite the bullet and get an 8GB upgrade kit just to max it out but I don't know. :)

Also what brand do you all recomend? I am thinking about just buying them from other world computing but if you have any other suggestions. :)

Edited by computerxpds, 31 July 2011 - 07:51 PM.

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:02 PM

2 RAM sticks would run in dual-channel mode (which isn't super fantastic), but other than that, I'd go with a single 4GB if only so you could potentially add another 4GB stick later. If the Mac Mini only has 2 RAM slots (which I'm guessing it does due to the size), then you'd be limiting yourself with 2x2GB (i.e. they wouldn't contribute to an upgrade to 8GB as both slots would already be filled).

I've always recommended buying from Crucial.

Edited by keyboardNinja, 01 August 2011 - 04:02 PM.

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 strolln

strolln

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:19 PM

Which Mac Mini do you have and what version OS are you using? You need at least a dual core mini and at least Snow Leopard or your mini will be limited to a little over 3G of RAM anyway. If your hardware and OS supports 8G and you can afford it, I'd go for the full 8G.

Edited by strolln, 01 August 2011 - 04:20 PM.

To Err is human; to really foul things up requires a Bleeping Computer!

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:12 PM

I Have a late 2009 mac mini running os x lion. And got it KN, that is most likely the route I will go. Thank you guys. :)

sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat too! |

#5 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Ha yeah I'm really going to go with crucial since they have a 5% discount offer (special people only) and free shipping!

sigcomp.png 

#6 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• BC Advisor
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:39 PM

(special people only)

You must be special then. :P
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#7 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• Topic Starter

• 4,468 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:45 PM

Why yes yes I am. Lol. Got to love web discounts.

sigcomp.png 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users