Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gMail Spam

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

How did spammers get all my gMail addresses? How is that possible? Months ago, a site (not Google) where I was registered had a data breach, so I knew one of my gMail addresses had been compromised (all they got was an email address and that site's password...I did not have any other personal info on file). I immediately changed the password on my gMail account. Within 24 hours, I got my first phishing attempt in gMail. After a month or so of spam, I figured out how to report them to gMail (someone in this forum helped with that).

Now the spammers (I assume they are the same people since they are using the same schtick) are sending spam to all my other gMail accounts. It's pretty un-nerving that they 'know my other email addresses'. These accounts are not linked in any way to my 'main' email address.

I am running WinXP with Security Pac 3; there is a firewall in the router (with a REALLY strong password) and a firewall on the PC (I was told it was OK to have both on...that there would be no conflict); I use Microsoft Security Essentials and occasionally Malwarebytes; all software is checked weekly and kept up to date.

Thanks in advance for any input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mstechhead

mstechhead

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

Are your other gmail addresses saved in your contacts within the previously hacked email account? If so, they them and all other emails listed.

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

I am not sure what all I had listed for 'me' in the gmail account they had access to. I know the account was 'exposed' for two days before a public announcement was made about the breach. As I said, I immediately changed my password. If memory serves, I had not transferred the contacts from my main gmail to that one at the time of the breach. It's just very unnerving to find these identical emails in several of my accounts. I made sure not to 'link' the email accounts to one another in any way...and as you probably know, Google offers a lot of different ways to do that. I intentionally did not link the email accounts to maintain privacy, and yet, somehow, they got several of my email addresses anyway. My guess is that it relates to these 'people' search databases, or some other ad database that can correlate my ip address with use of these emails (somehow). Watch your back, people. Because someone else is!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users