Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help opening docx file

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 loneoakret

loneoakret

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:15 PM

I have received a number of emails containing files with the .docx suffix on the end. I cannot open these files on my computer. I currently have MS Office, but it will not open the .docx files properly. Can anyone help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:25 PM

.docx documents are created using MS Word 7

If you do not have MS Word 7, there is a compatibility pack that can be installed if you have the previous version of MS Word. I recall being prompted to install it the first time I tried to open such a document.

Note, however, that there will be differences in how the code is rendered even using the compatibility pack which may affect how the document shows on your computer.

LibreOffice, a free Office Suite, will also open and work with MS Word 7 documents, and I believe you can save in MS Word 7 format as well. You can read about it here: http://www.libreoffice.org/

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,568 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:31 PM

Alternatively, you can contact the individual(s) sending the .docx files and ask them to send them in .doc format (Word 2010 offers the option to save files to .doc and it's not a big deal for them to do it).

#4 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

The compatibility pack is great. Now my wife can open .docx and .xlsx files in Office 2000.

Edited by md2lgyk, 24 August 2011 - 01:20 PM.

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2011 - 04:30 AM

Glad it took care of your issues.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users