Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot start Windows normally

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PaedragGaidin

PaedragGaidin

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Heya. :) I'm having some problems with my girlfriend's desktop computer. Last night, I installed updates for Microsoft Security Essentials and Flash, along with a Windows update ("one important update"). This morning, the system froze while she was doing something, and upon restart it got to the scrolling bar screen, but would not load past this. I forced a restart and ran startup repair, which was unable to repair errors, according to itself; I then tried to boot into safe mode; at first it would not work and the system froze, but eventually I was able to get into safe mode. However, when it loaded there was a balloon saying that there were problems with the profile and it could not be loaded; the desktop looked like a factory-default version, none of the normal icons were there, and when looking through startup listings in WinPatrol, half of the items normally there were not. I ran a scan using MSE and it froze after a few minutes.

Upon restart, I got back to the scrolling bar, and it stayed there for half an hour before I rebooted it again. Running startup repair yet again, it ran and restarted, and now it's back to the scrolling bar once more....

Help? :)

Her system is an HP Pavillion S3100y running Windows Vista (32 bit). I'd provide more info if I could get to it right now....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

<<...saying that there were problems with the profile and it could not be loaded.>>

Unfortunately...I don't know of a way to overcome a damaged profile if you cannot boot into the system.

I suggest you try the safe mode route once again...then create a duplicate/replacement profile...and transfer files/settings to the new one.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Louis

#3 PaedragGaidin

PaedragGaidin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:16 PM

I got into safe mode and created a new profile, copied everything over to it, then restarted. Windows took about ten minutes to load normally (it spent that long on the scrolling bar screen), and eventually it did load, but it's still giving me the same message:

Your user profile was not loaded correctly! You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off. Please see the event log for details or contact your administrator.

All desktop icons except the bare defaults and all IE/Firefox bookmarks and personalized settings are gone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users