Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template: PC for Photo Edit & Gaming

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mmason

mmason

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:38 PM

My budget for the new computer is:
$2,500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
  • Photo editing in Photoshop and Lightroom. Batch processing of large RAW Canon files.
  • Moderate gaming, starting with NASCAR 2003 Papyrus-Sierra, and iRacing.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
  • Windows 7
  • Microsoft Office
  • Auto Racing simulations
  • Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom with Topaz and Nik plugins
  • Firefox, etc.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
  • Auto Racing
  • Turn based WW2 simulations.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
Yes, normally 6 to 10

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
Yes, I can easily shoot 20 GB in a day, not all are keepers.

I have looked around at the following custom builders:

AVADirect Twinsburg, OH (Cleveland)
Maingear Kenilworth, NJ
Origin PC Miami, FL
Velocity Micro Richmond, VA

Since I'm East of the Rockies, I've not shopped the West coast builders just from a shipping standpoint (particularly if the computer needs to make a round trip to fix a problem.)

Does anyone have any experience with Maingear? Here is the system I've spec'd, but I would like to know if there is something I'm not taking into consideration:

F131 Super Stock (system-F131-SS) $2,491.00
Special Promotions: $100 Instant Savings - Summer Savings!
Chassis: MAINGEAR F131 Chassis With One-Piece Aluminum Front Construction - Silver with Acoustic Dampening
Chassis Modification: Performance Chassis Cooling Upgrade
Exterior Finish: F131 Super Stock - Stock Black
Motherboard: Gigabyte® Z68X-UD4 Featuring USB 3.0, SATA 6G [B3 Stepping]
Processor: Intel® CoreT i7 2600K 3.4GHz/3.8GHz Turbo 8MB L3 Cache GT2
Processor Cooling: MAINGEAR EPIC 140 Supercooler
MAINGEAR Redline Overclocking Service: YES! - RedlineT Overclock My System!
Memory: 16GB Patriot® Division2 G2 DDR3-1600 Enhanced Latency (4x4GB) [FREE UPGRADE! ]
Graphics and GPGPU Accelerator: NVIDIA® GeForceT GTX 570 1.2GB GDDR5 w/ PhysX [ENTHUSIAST]
Power Supply: 850 Watt Seasonic® X-850 80+ Gold Certified Modular Power Supply ROHS
Hard Drive Bay One: 20GB Intel® 311 Series SSD (w/ TRIM) [SSD Caching ONLY]
Hard Drive Bay Two: 1.0TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6G 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Hard Drive Bay Three: 1.0TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA 6G 7200rpm 64MB Cache
Hard Drive Bay Four: Pre-Wired SATA Backpl ane Expansion Bracket For Easy Upgrades
Optical Drive One: 24X Dual Layer DVD RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology
Optical Drive Two: 8X Lite-On Blu-ray Reader and DVD Lightscribe Combo Drive with Software
Audio: 7.1+2 Channel High Definition Surround Sound Supporting S/DIF Optical In and Out
Network Adapter: On-board Gigabit Ethernet
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Security Software: Microsoft Security Essentials
The Final Finesse: Designed, Manufactured, and Supported in the USA - Flawless Craftsmanship and Wire Management
Angelic Service Warranty: Lifetime Angelic Service Labor and Phone Support with 1 Year Hardware Warranty

Any advice appreciated,

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:56 PM

i have heard of nothing bad from that company but have u cooncidered building ure onwn computer? i believe it will be cheaper for u or u will be able to have some money left over to get a better gpu or somehting like that

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:08 PM

Maingear makes some awesome custom computers. The one you configured would be fine for the tasks your doing.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 mmason

mmason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:32 PM

i have heard of nothing bad from that company but have u cooncidered building ure onwn computer? i believe it will be cheaper for u or u will be able to have some money left over to get a better gpu or somehting like that

Thanks Blaze, I did price the components for NewEgg and they are about $300 cheaper. This will be my first non-mainstream brand PC and I need something that will start-up and go as soon as I get it. I plan on doing upgrades and additions myself and should be in a better place to build the next one in a few years.

I am currently on a remote work assignment in Arkansas, and the only support here is an Office Depot, which is great if I need a USB drive quickly. Can't even get a UDMA Compact Flash card for my Canon 7D DSLR in this town. Otherwise, the folks are really nice here and business is good. When I get back to Houston in a few years the local support will be a whole different story.

I do like the looks of several of the Antec computer cases that I have seen on the internet!!

Thanks for the feedback and info,

Mark

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:31 AM

I think the reason why it is a bit more expensive is because of the labour and the overclocking.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users