Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Ultimate to Win7 Pro or Home Premium Advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Philly B.

Philly B.

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

Hi All,

Just looking for some advice here. I have a desktop with a 1 TB Hard drive, not partitioned. The copy of Win7 Ultimate on this computer is not genuine. I would like to get genuine, but I didn't want to drop $200 on Ultimate. I wanted to downgrade to Pro or Home Premium without having to do a full re-install. My thinking was that I could get a small hard drive and install an OEM version of Pro or HP on that, and keep my files/programs on the 1TB hard drive.

Would there be any issues with this? Am I going to have to re-install all of my programs anyways? Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Phil

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:32 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how will obtain the OEM version?

#3 Philly B.

Philly B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:34 PM

NewEgg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

Or similar.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:40 PM

Gotcha, thanks :).

So you would leave the "illegal" version installed on the other drive? While your intentions are honorable, that's still not quite legal.

#5 Philly B.

Philly B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:46 PM

So I will need a full reinstall then if I want to downgrade? Is this what you would do, or would you pony up the money to keep Ultimate?

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

If you feel there is anything in Ultimate you can't do without, then I guess you should go with Ultimate. Otherwise, go with a less expensive version - only you can answer that question. But in the end yes, if I found myself in your situation (and I assure you, I wouldn't :) ) then yes, I would format and reinstall.

#7 Philly B.

Philly B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:07 PM

I believe you when you say you wouldn't find yourself in my situation. Thanks, Allan.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,564 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users