Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP-Win7 Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 swede109

swede109

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

Hello
Got a question about my XP computer and My Network Places.

My network is simple, an XP desktop;

XP Home SP3 32bit
2.4 AMD 64 Processor
Albatron K8T800 Main Board
250Gb HD NTFS
1.5 Gb RAM
GForce 7800 GS
NVIDIA Driver Version 6.14.12.5896
Samsung 24" SyncMaster Monitor

Connected to internet via Ethernet to a Cable ISP modem. Modem also broadcasts a wireless signal for laptops.

Two Toshiba Windows7 laptops, depending who is home at the time.

An HP Officejet 6500a is connected to my XP computer via USB.

The Toshiba laptops can use the printer and I can see shared folders between computers, but here is my question;

When I go to Network Places on my XP desktop computer, there is nothing shown in there, except a ‘My Web Sites on MSN’ icon. Not sure where that came from. There is supposed to be shared folders and computers and I believe the modem is supposed to be in there?

I can go to ‘View workgroup computers’ and see all the computers in the network and double-click on each one and see the shared folders and printer. But I should see something in ‘My Network Places’ yes?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 swede109

swede109
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

Ok just got it figured out.. I needed to check, 'Automatically search for network folders and printers' box in Folder Options.
Thanks

#3 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 07:43 PM

Glad you figured it out! Happy computing! :)
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users