Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

acer notebook won't start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cdthomo

cdthomo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hi guys,

Acer Aspire 3410, initial problem with black screen of death (completely blank). Reflashed/updated BIOS to 1.28, which corrected error but revealed non-functional backlight (very dim image).

I dismantled the monitor to check all connections (fine) then connected a voltmeter across the earth and +ve on the inverter board to check if it was delivering power. Computer immediately shutdown () and now won't start.

I've tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery + ac power, holding the "on" button for 30s then refitting battery + ac power with no success. I've also removed the circular battery located next to the RAM accessible via the RAM access panel on the underside. Still nothing.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

Can you adjust the brightness using the fn + brightness key?

#3 cdthomo

cdthomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:43 PM

Hi mate, thanks for quick reply.

No the brightness wasn't software adjustable unfortunately. Now I'm confident its the inverter board needs replacing.. but I need to get it to fire up again!

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Hook up another monitor to see if you can see any error messages it could be starting up but providing no display.

#5 cdthomo

cdthomo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:50 PM

there are no lights or sounds emitted after pressing the power button, its definitely a hardware issue preventing any power being distributed to the system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users