Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing Ssytem Configuration Utility

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anonix

Anonix

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Too many programs set to start up automatically, so I went to system configuration utility and selected which programs I want on my start up list. Everytime I have tried that, I run into the following: On startup, the sys config box pops up, along with a message "you have used system configuration utility to change the way Windows starts." I click "OK". I think at that point I see the box (with tabs) showing that I have a selective startup. Then I get a another message that says "you must restart your computer for some of the system config changes to take effect.". The other option is to "exit without restart". I tried hitting 'restart' but that just gets me in a loop. The same thing happens over again...all the same message until I get back to where I have the message '...you must restart your computer for some of the changes...etc. etc.". Makes no sense. So now, I always select 'exit without restart'. Can someone explain what is happening here? I want a selective startup, mostly to keep Hewelett Packard printer stuff from slowing the restart. There was a fax program that was slowing things as well. But since I have done that, every single time I have to go through these messages warning me that I have a selective startup and telling me that I need to restart the computer, over and over again (unless I click on 'exit without restart'. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should not be used to make permanent changes to startup processes. To make changes to service use Start - Run - Services.msc. To change startup items us a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

#3 Anonix

Anonix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 188 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Did not know that. Thank you. Looks like I need to try this out a bit differently. Will have a look.

msconfig is a diagnostic utility and should not be used to make permanent changes to startup processes. To make changes to service use Start - Run - Services.msc. To change startup items us a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users