Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recover data from HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dstambaugh

dstambaugh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

Working on a relative's hard drive, which is a Seagate 500GB SATA drive. They had Vista installed on it and alot of personal files they wish to recover. I've got a boot CD with dozens of recovery utilities on it (Hiren's). No matter which utility I use, I can read the HDD disk info, get the partition info, etc, but when I attempt to scan for bad sectors or copy the partition over to another drive, the drive "goes offline". Some programs tell me that the drive is not ready anymore. It seems to happen around sector 208026, which is very close to the beginning of the drive. I start scanning from sector 0 and watch it increment as it scans each sector sequentially, then abruptly dies at this number. If I'm trying to copy the partition, it aborts very soon after starting and the drive is no longer shown. To get it to shown again (in any recovery tool) I have to power down the PC, remove the power plug from the PS and discharge the power from the internal caps via the power button.

HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

Please download Recuva and try using it instead. it is a great product that I highly recommend.

#3 dstambaugh

dstambaugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:23 PM

uhmmm, that is a Windows utility, it won't help in this case.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:26 PM

The drive doesn't work in Windows?

#5 dstambaugh

dstambaugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:35 PM

Not anymore, which is how I got involved. When it boots, the Windows loading progress bar appears for about a minute, then blue screens with "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME". Same thing in Safe Mode.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:36 PM

Try it in another computer then and mount it then. It should then read the data, and recuva should then work.

#7 dstambaugh

dstambaugh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:05 PM

Yes I tried that and nothing's worked. I'm beginning to think it's a mechanical failure of some kind. I've tried to copy data off of it in my Win7 machine, a WinPE machine, RIP Linux and numerous HDD recovery apps. In Windows, I see 2 new partitions but without Total Size or Free Space data in Windows Explorer. I double-click on the drive to explore it and nothing happens...well, Explorer is stuck waiting for a disk timeout. Device Manager shows it as "Disk drive" with no other info....but it appears to have correctly loaded the driver (no yellow exclamation point). The first time I booted with it attached to my Win7 machine, Windows identified it with the correct model number. Bootup process took about 10 minutes, usually under 2 mins.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:11 AM

FWIW: Unmountable boot volume errors...if not serious...are normally overcome by running the chkdsk /r command on the boot partition/drive. That's for XP users.

I don't see much addressing this as a separate issue for Vista, other than http://www.vistahelpforum.com/showthread.php?t=3599 .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users