Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browsers & Trojans

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mechtild

mechtild

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:32 AM

Hi, This computer is 1 year old. It has McAfee on it which comes free with AT&T DSL. I primarily use IE 8 to access the Internet. I've had no trojans or virus problems for the past year until one month ago. First I got that FakeAlert. Then about a week ago I got it a 2nd time. Then 2 days ago I got that Win 7 Security trojan. I was on perfectly legit sites when these events occurred. McAfee did not block them. Since both these trojans are related to Windows/MS, if I use another browser like Chrome or Safari will this prevent these trojans? (IOWs, are these trojans coming through IE?) Right now I've switched to Chrome until I know more about what has caused this outbreak when I've had no problems before. Thanks, Barbara (PS--This is my upteenth computer since 1987, have always used Norton's and have never gotten a virus or trojan or worm or whatever.)

Edited by mechtild, 31 July 2011 - 11:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:43 PM

if I use another browser like Chrome or Safari will this prevent these trojans?

The short answer is no.
There is no perfect browser and there is no perfect security program.
All mostly depends on your computing habits.

Read How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic2520.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 mechtild

mechtild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:35 PM

Ah, not happy information, but it is what I needed to know, thank you :) Read the linked page & downloaded & installed the SpyBlaster program. Thank you for your kindness, Barbara

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

You're very welcome Posted Image

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:42 PM

You may also want to read How Malware Spreads - How did I get infected which explains the most common ways malware is contracted and spread.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users