Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

the selected drive is not capabe of writing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CrisGer

CrisGer

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Suddenly yesterday after burning many DVDs neither of my DVD drives will burn a disk. I tried running the Microsoft fix it for DVD CD stuff and it says:

the selected drive is not capable of writing, if you have several CD DVD drives try using another drive, otherwise you may need to install a CD DVD writer

I made no changes to the system, did not install anything new, am using the same DVD type disk as before this happened and now if i try to burn with Alcohol or Nero it says:

this device needs a DVD R/W format disk...and the Fix it says the drive is not capable at all.

I have a Windows XP Pro SP3 set up, AMD hard drive and all else is clean and working well.

About a month ago all drives stopped burning with -R, and i had to switch to +R to burn, but it worked fine on those after that. We tried replacing the IDE cable but no change...and my tech did not know what else to do than to try a different format disk. I have burned a lot of DVDs so maybe the drive is gone but why both drives? And on any type of burning program? i tried three, Nero, Covert2DVD and Alcohol..none will burn.

Can you guys help?

Edited by CrisGer, 31 July 2011 - 10:10 AM.

Game Researcher and Designer
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com//
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Have you tried rebooting?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:11 AM

Take a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-hardware/cddvdrw-drive-not-capable-of-writing-to-a-cd/5e8fdb16-be1d-4c6c-bb09-7d3835f15435 .

Louis

#4 CrisGer

CrisGer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:57 PM

I did reboot ..i uninstalled all burning software and re installed. and the rebooted.

I think it may have been two things..

one ...if the Drive gets hot, the DVD drive it can interfere with operation and i had left the computer on for days.

two, ....i got a differnt brand of DVD and even tho it was the DVD - version in stead of + which i thought i had to have it worked fine and all burrning programs are working again..

so you can close this topic, the mystery remains a bit...but i think it was

1. Type of DVD
2. Hot Temp.

thanks again for fast replies.
Game Researcher and Designer
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com//
Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users