Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No display woes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr-brett

mr-brett

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:20 AM

This started a couple of weeks back (although I've had it on/off for years with various hardware), I turn on the PC and it sounds ok but I don't get any display and I'm pretty sure that it's not actually booting, it's in limbo. I think this is fairly common (looking on Google) and I've tried a number of things to fix it. At first it would fix with a simple reboot (this usually took a few tries), later on it would require removing all but one stick of the RAM and the CMOS battery, with some trial and error this would work eventually. Unfortunatly this has been happening with increasing frequency and happened twice today, crashing my PC both times. The second time, it would not start back up, in fact the PC would barely start at all, it would turn on for half a second then turn off again. I fixed this by reseting the jumper on the mobo.

So to narrow it down, I dug out my old Pentium 4 mobo which still had the chip, RAM and heatsink attached and pluged in my HDD, GPU and PSU. This booted fine which leaves the Mobo. CPU and RAM as the possible culprits, I have 5 sticks of RAM and have tried almost all of them indiviually and in different slots, so I don't think it's the RAM. Which leads me to think that the mobo or CPU is the issue but I can't really test either. I'm hoping that someone here might be able to offer some advice, at the moment it looks like i'm going to have to shop for a new mobo :(

Spec:
Windows 7 64bit Service Pack 1
CPU: i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T SE
PSU: Corsair 850w
GPU: Asus Radoen HD 5850
RAM: OCZ PC3 1600 Platinium x2, Gold x3
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Check the caps on the motherboard and see if any are bulging, distended, or have popped. http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

#3 mr-brett

mr-brett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:33 AM

Just had a look and couldn't see any abnormal capacitors.

#4 mr-brett

mr-brett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:58 PM

If its not against the rules; bump :)

I need to use my pc daily so I'm keen hear any thoughts on the matter.

Mod Edit: Bumping IS against forum protocols...and I've not seen one instance where such...inspires answers/comments from those who might have such after reading the initial post of a member ~ Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2011 - 09:01 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users