Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Better Privacy Firefox add-on v1.65 released

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:39 AM

Better Privacy Firefox add-on v1.65
Released 29-July 2011

BetterPrivacy is a Firefox add-on that is able to delete a special kind of cookies: Local Shared Objects in short LSO's (usually known as Flash-cookies) are placed on your computer by a Flash plug-in.

Why are LSO's harmful?

* they are never expiring - staying on your computer for an unlimited time
* by default they offer a storage of 100 KB (compare: Usual cookies 4 KB)
* browsers are not fully aware of LSOs, LSO's often cannot be displayed or managed by browsers
* via Flash they can access and store highly specific personal and technical information (system, user name, ...)
* ability to send the stored information to the appropriate server, without user's permission
* Flash applications do not need to be visible to the user
* there is no easy way to tell which LSO sites are tracking you
* shared folders allow cross-browser tracking, all browsers use the same LSO folder
* the company doesn't provide a user-friendly way to manage LSO's, in fact it's incredible cumbersome
* many domains and tracking companies make extensive use of LSOs
* LSOs are used to re-create data of deleted traditional cookies

Since Flash is a separate application, running on your system (not under the hood of Firefox) , there is technically no way to prevent it from storing those LSO's on your disk. However they can be deleted at any time but unfortunately most browsers are unable to display or manage LSO's. BetterPrivacy can help here and offers capabilities to list and manage stored LSO's, up to full automatic cleaning, while allowing to define LSO-removal exclusion rules.

Better Privacy:
http://netticat.ath.cx/BetterPrivacy/BetterPrivacy.htm

Thanks to RichieUK :)

Edited by Allan, 31 July 2011 - 07:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

I have used this add-on for ages. Seems very good to me.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

Pretty ironic that a visit to this add-on's homepage added an LSO to my computer.:blink:

Posted Image

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:29 PM

Not that ironic.
I would imagine it's used for the Test Your Privacy test, on the right side of the homepage.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 JohnCe

JohnCe

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

I`ve just re-visited the page and it shows todays date and time!.
Maybe my habit of clearing my history (Tools, Options,Privacy, Clear History), is clearing any LSO`s?
Regards JohnCe.

#6 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 06:39 AM

I`ve just re-visited the page and it shows todays date and time!.
Maybe my habit of clearing my history (Tools, Options,Privacy, Clear History), is clearing any LSO`s?
Regards JohnCe.

Interesting Comment JohnCe, I am also testing it out with my Stuff to do that. http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=70 I am very interested to see how it goes on this one. It is completely Free.

BTW,this is not Spam, just a well recognised simple Program that I Love to Test and use where ever I need to, particularly for inexperienced users

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 03 August 2011 - 06:41 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#7 JohnCe

JohnCe

• Members
  • 164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 08:07 AM

Hello Ray, I`m rather cautious when it comes to trying new programs, so I`ve only visited the page twice and spent a little time googling to identify any problems that may arise from it, so I was surprised when it never recognised me on the second visit! Regards John.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users