Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

external hardware made inoperable by System Repair virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 analogic

analogic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:22 AM

The other week my computer was attacked by this virus called System Repair, which I could stop and remove with the instructions found here (thank you very much by the way, really helpful material!).
The detail that I've overseen though, I had my external hard disk connected on the computer when the virus hit me, and I disconnected it right after I realized I have to do with a virus, hoping it hasn't spread on it too!
As you explained, the virus moves all the files shortcuts to the Temp folder, to make the hard disk seem as it's unreadable and erased, so I took care not to empy the Temp folder until I got all my computer files unhidden and restored. But once my computer was clean and functioning again, I did a general cleanup which deleted my Temp folder as well.
Now, after a few days, I realized my external hard disk can't be read - the content is there, I can see it by checking its capacity, I can also see the hard disc is connected, but nothing on it is seen or readable by any computer or scanning program. I can't restore any of the data, my Temp file is long emptied and gone! It also makes the computer slow and weird, as if the virus would be back, but none of the antivirus software detects anything (RKill, Malwarebytes, Webroot Internet Security). I've tried some File Recovery programms (PCTools) but they are also helpless - can't find any content on the disk. Can you recommend me something?

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2011 - 10:13 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:36 AM

Is space still being taken up on the external? Do you have your folder viewing options set to "view hidden folders and files"?

#3 analogic

analogic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Yes Mark, space is still taken up, and I also have the view hidden option on

#4 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:42 AM

have you tried scandisk on that drive?

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#5 analogic

analogic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

yes I have and it won't access it

any other ideas?

Edited by analogic, 01 August 2011 - 03:33 AM.

#6 gonsalves

gonsalves

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2011 - 10:52 AM

I had a similar problem with my USB (not a virus attack of course). I was able to read and recover my files by booting off a Live linux CD ( I used Knopix but I think any distribution will do).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users