Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screens and hal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ajnord

ajnord

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:52 PM

First timer here but active reader. I have been having a problem that I hope this community can help me with. I have a two year old HP desktop running Windows 7 64 bit. I have been getting blue screens,random freezes and the like. I installed Blue screen view and several memory dumps indicated it was Windows operating system that was causing the problem. Though one time it led me to believe it was my ATI video card. So I re-installed my operating system hoping this would solve my issues. It did not. I am still getting blue screens and random freezes. The latest blue screen view contains the following language:
Address in stack - hal.dll+12818
From address: fffff800`02c0e000
To address:fffff800`02c57000
size:0x00049000
Dump file: 073011-35724-01.dmp
Every so often I get an error message that says "out of resource" or something like that. Sorry I cannot remember the exact wording but that would lead me to beleive I have a memory issue but which one? Video card or memory stick? I would really appreciate anyones insight to this issue. Thanks
Ajnord

(Moderator edit: post moved to more appropriate forum. jgw)

Edited by jgweed, 31 July 2011 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:07 PM

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When the automatic scanning is done, click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#3 ajnord

ajnord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:50 PM

thanks. Here it is:
Dump File : 073011-35724-01.dmp
Crash Time : 7/30/2011 8:18:24 PM
Bug Check String : MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000009c
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0316bc70
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : hal.dll
Caused By Address : hal.dll+12818
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64

#4 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 06:58 PM

Has your graphics card been upgraded? Check your motherboard for blown, distended, or leaking caps... http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

That BSOD you have is usually hardware related from what I've seen. A couple times it was caused by an underpowered system.

#5 ajnord

ajnord
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:45 PM

I have a ati 4650 graphics card and is powered by 350 W power supply.Interesting article on the mother board. I will take a look.I am pretty much a neophyte with all of this and hope my MB is not the source of the problem. I really don't want to take my macihne in to hae one opf those replaced. I did by the way take off the cover and vacumed out a bit of dust. I think I am leaning towards my graphics card and maybe a boost in power. Tthose I can replace myself.
I really appreciate everyones insight and help with this.

And I forgot to add this is the original graphics card that came with the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users