Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Audio Service Causing Hard Freeze

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kawfey

kawfey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Hello all,

Ever since taking my laptop back to bestbuy for Mobo replacement (I plugged headphones into the USB jack on accident, rendering 3/4 jacks useless), she's been freezing randomly.

I've narrowed it down i hope. After saving an Audacity *.aup file, and trying to reopen it, she freezes to where the mouse no longer moves and a CAD is impossible. Found out that Windows Audio Service (or one of it's dependancies) were causing it. Upon stopping WAS, the file was openable, but not playable, for the audio device was shut off.

The freeze is only triggered by opening that audacity file. Elsewhere, it's random, sometimes with audio playing, sometimes not. Audacity also sometimes crashes while recording.

Tried to repair my drivers, but windows says they're all the freshest bunch of audio drivers there are for my particular device.

Also, my Wireless deactivated itself in this whole process. I think it's just about time for either taking it back to BB or doing the windows cure-all: re-installing the OS. Before I do, any suggestions?

Also, my laptop model: ASUS G60JX

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MarkGS

MarkGS

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:51 PM

To save time on yourself take it back and have them finish repairs. It's possibly the OS may be corrupt and just need a clean install.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,730 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:03 PM

I would take a look at the errors reflected in Event Viewer, looking for clues.

I would also uninstall...then reinstall working drivers (doesn't matter if they are the newest/latest) for audio and networking devices...before I consider shelling out cash or reinstalling the O/S.

Louis

#4 kawfey

kawfey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:46 PM

I Fixed it.

Event viewer was sucking at helping me find the source of the problem. At the time of freeze, all I could find is Kernel-Power errors from the hard reset.

So I just used audacity's problems as a gateway to the source. I redid all audio drivers, and found that the Creative Audigy drivers were somehow replaced with Realtek and Nvidia ones. Putting back the old ones from the Asus support website fixed that. HOWEVER,

My new problem is the Wifi Service--wlansvc / the WLAN Autoconfig Service won't start, saying it's dependencies failed to start. Can't find the failed dependencies other than NativeWIFI filter and NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol. I'll try looking somewhere on the forum.

#5 kawfey

kawfey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:04 AM

AHA. Extensible Authentication Protocol. These services were disabled because of something, somewhere. Probably a trojan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users