Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Exploder Slow as bleep

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow_Sheik

Shadow_Sheik

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Alright.

I've got an old Dell Dimension B110 on my hands. Running XP 32-bit... a friend's unit. IE began running slow as hell, so she took it to have it "cleaned" according to what she told me, they ran some sort of wipe (unit only has 40k or so files on it now). However, the sluggishness persists. It takes several minutes to run a simple Google search.

I ran both Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials (after having manually installed them both via USB), each to no avail. I also snooped around in her temp files on IE, and I found that she had a metric bleep ton of website certificates from all over the damn globe. She's used this unit to pirate things before, claiming that she only used Pirate Bay, but she must've done something else to this unit to have authorized so many certificates. I'd have a little more information on her web browsing habits, but she's beyond computer illiterate: attempting to ask her computer-related questions is like pulling teeth.

I can't for the life of me figure out what's bogging this thing down. Any help with this is appreciated.

Edited by Shadow_Sheik, 30 July 2011 - 08:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:13 AM

Hello,

What are the specs for this machine it might be just age and out of date hardware slowing it down. Web pages especially search sites are becoming more and more complex and require more power to render and load these days.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#3 Shadow_Sheik

Shadow_Sheik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/5923/doentation1312212114730.png

There you go.

Only the RAM has been altered from manufacturer standard, and stands at 2GB capacity.

Edited by hamluis, 01 August 2011 - 11:05 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#4 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,488 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

I'm leaning more towards the age of the machine to the slowness. Is it just IE that is slow or is it all other apps as well?
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#5 Shadow_Sheik

Shadow_Sheik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:55 PM

I'm leaning more towards the age of the machine to the slowness. Is it just IE that is slow or is it all other apps as well?

FF runs a Google search a bit faster, but even it is refusing to load the Dog article on Wikipedia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users