Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash on intense games. ((UPLOADED VIDEO))

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jellahvizion

jellahvizion

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:30 PM

Hey guys!

So I just built a new computer with an Asus p67a-c43 motherboard, 750watt thermaltake modular power supply. 8gb kingston hyperX dd3 ram, intel i5 2500k unlocked, and a EVGA gtx 550 ti. I have done no overclocking at all.

In anything that is 3d intensive... I get a horrible lock up. It takes from 5 minutes to one hour to happen, depending on the graphical intensity of the game. Now I used a stress test to see if I could get this lockup to happen
sooner... and it worked. So it takes about 30 seconds on a benchmark software called Furmark for the lockup to happen. This is what it looks like.

lockup youtube vid

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS)) temps are all perfect in computer.. it is not a heat issue

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jellahvizion

jellahvizion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

ok so listen to this!!

I opened case and figured I would give reseating the video card a shot.

So I shut the computer down and pull the power cable out of the power supply.

I pull the 6pin pci power cable out of the GPU, and remove it from its slot.

Then I put the GPU back in its slot and put the 6pin connector back on.

As I plug the cable back into the power supply I hear a small crackly and think nothing of it.

I press the power button and the computer starts for about 2 seconds... all fans turn on and everything. Then its shuts off. 5 seconds later it tries to start again and shuts off. It repeats this cycle until I pull the power plug from the PSU!!

Before I return this power supply and buy a better one ((I kinda cheaped out on the power supply in the first place))

DOES ANYONE DISAGREE WITH ME when i say "IT HAS TO BE A BAD PSU" ????

thanks in advance!!

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:44 AM

I will disagree. I don't think it is a power supply.

I would manually check my voltages with a DVOM while the problem is happening to confirm a PSU problem. Find a spare molex/4 pin connector, ck yellow to black, voltage should be around 12V.

I still think your original problem was heat related. Every symptom you list, and your video pretty much confirm that diag to my mind. Don't know what GPU temp was (video wasn't great).

BTW, the last system that I worked on that had the 5 sec reboot loop, ended up being a bad stick of memory. I never would have suspected that (not even a beep code). I even threw in another power supply first (as it was my first guess as well).

Wish you luck with your problem.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users