Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awg1011

awg1011

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:15 PM

I just have a quick question about Pentium PCUs. What's the main diffrence between the P4 and Celeron, besides the price?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:31 AM

Celeron:
Smaller l2 cache, Less power consumption, lower clocks, lower fsb.

#3 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 09:22 AM

I'm thinking of upgrading a very old PC with a new motherboard and PCU (currently a 450Mhz), I've already put in a new HDD and CD-RW, I'll mainly be using this PC as dual boot XP/Linux and don't plan on doing any gaming, mainly just internet, some photo editing, listing to music, general stuff like that.

Am I correct to assume that the Celeron would be just fine? I'm looking at 2.93 or 3.06 GHz 478 socket.

#4 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 02:01 PM

It would be okay but, you could buy a P4 socket 478 for $120 new and even less used. The P4 would definitely perform noticeably better at those tasks than the Celeron, especially photo editing.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#5 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:10 PM

This is just kind of for a hobby so I'd like to keep costs down for now. I found a new Celeron D 2.93 GHz for $29 on Tigerdirect... I could get a P4 later if I want.

Tiger Direct seems to have decent prices, but is there any where else with better prices?

#6 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:07 PM

I still would recommend buying a P4 but, if you're trying to keep costs down then you have found a very nice price on that CPU.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2006 - 09:37 AM

If you are looking for a Motherboard and CPU TigerDirect has some low priced combos that can save some money.

Tigerdirect Motherboard Bundles

Edited by Leurgy, 16 January 2006 - 09:37 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 awg1011

awg1011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2006 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for all the great info. I took a look at the motherboard CPU combos, and it looks like it might be the way to go.

I haven't ruled out the P4 by any means, I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal. I'm going to hold off a bit, my employer is talking about replacing one of the PCs at work because it doesn't have enough memory (he likes to replace rather than upgrade), It's only a couple years old w/ 2.5GHz P4. If he replaces it, I'll see about getting it...... however, that would take the thrill out of building my own. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users