Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't uninstall 'BOINC' program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 a2112jv

a2112jv

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

I bought my Dell Dimension 3000 used and I can't seem to uninstall/get rid of a program that came with it called 'BOINC.' It seems to be some kind of alien searching program and the publisher is listed as "Space Sciences Laboratory, U.C. Berkley." When I try to uninstall the program I get a message window that has a 'BOINC' heading and the message reads "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable." "Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'BOINC.msi' in the box below."

The source that is listed is- C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Installations\{51772F90-E4C5-402A-B2CB-AED7D0808CCF}\

When I go to the file source myself there is nothing listed in the folder.

I have disabled the program from running, but can't figure out how to uninstall it from my computer.

I have 2 questions: Is this something I need to be concerned about? How do I get rid of the program?

Thank you for any help and information.

Andrew

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

BOINC is perfectly safe, it's a program from the University of California at Berkley which people run to help perform enormous computations for various scientific projects (the aliens one is one of the oldest of these projects and is called SETI@home)

To uninstall a program that uses an MSI installer like BOINC, you use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. Follow this guide from the BOINC project to fully remove this broken installation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users