Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Load My Dell XP Desktop Disc on Dell Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 deandome

deandome

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:24 PM

I have a dying Dell D610 laptop running XP Professional. I want to reformat/restore it, but I don't have the original OS disc (but I do have the original drivers/utilities disc.

But I DO have a legit Dell XP Home edition SP2 disc, with a key & everything (from my mom's Dell Desktop of about the same era as the laptop).

The question is now obvious, can I use the OS disc I have to re-do my laptop?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:28 PM

What do you mean by dying ? It would be senseless to reinstall, eg, if your HD was "dying".

As far as I know, an Install disk is not different for a desktop and Laptop. It will configure the OS based on the hardware you have on the laptop. Backup what you need from the laptop, and have at it.

PS: I am just another user, making a comment & do not work for this forum !

Edited by USN Vet, 30 July 2011 - 11:30 PM.

Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 deandome

deandome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:59 PM

Thanks!

It's not 'dying' as much as getting choked to death. I've got a google redirect infection that is immune to every removal tool I've tried (including TDSS killer, which found nothing), and the company-installed Credant has prevented me from accessing/saving any of my documents, and it (or the virus) is now preventing me from 'cancelling' from downloading programs to my desktop.

I don't mind starting fresh, as Ireally use it just to surf & play games in the living room...I have a big, new desktop nearby. I'd rather have a fully functional unit, but I just want to make sure I can somehow install XP on it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:15 AM

IMO...Dell is the most confusing of all OEMs.

Some systems have Windows install CDs which do full installs, including PA data...some employ recovery partitions...some employ partitions and discs.

To give valid answers...the appropriate systems would have to be identified...then search the Dell website to see the documentation for said system and determine just how the discs provided...are intended to be used.

Not all discs are equal or intended to be such.

If you have a malware infection...you need to treat that before addressing anything else, IMO.

Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum103.html

Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users