Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost all files/folders on a drive!!!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jwmghf

jwmghf

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

Hey guys:

This is ugly. I came home and my drive had no info on it. I can only assume one of my kids did something. I don't know what. I went to Disk Management because the drive shows up missing. It's a raid0 array. The array is fine. But in Disk Management I can see the drive and it says it is "Unallocated Space"?? I know it should say healthy. I did allocate the space but did not do a quick format. I came here first to throw some ideas around. I would ideally like to be able to reverse whatever happened and have all the programs and files I had on there magically re-appear. Fat chance, right? I am using Windows XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

Edited by jwmghf, 30 July 2011 - 05:24 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:08 PM

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Read the documentation carefully.

#3 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Thanks m8. I'm running cmd and analyzing now. I'll post back when it's done. Will this re-build the partition or simply save the files it finds?

And Thanks again.

#4 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:14 AM

I'm not sure as I've never had the need to use it myself.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

Testdisk can write a new partition table based on what it finds.

If, when it's done analyzing, it finds your partitions you can tell it to write the partition table. Triple check that the partition structure has been correctly detected first, though.

#6 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

After the Deep Search it says, "No partition". Does that mean I should just run recovery software?

Thanks

#7 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Yes, try PhotoRec from the same site.

You should consider purchasing more drives so you can back up your current data ones. I have 2 identical 1 GB internal drives and make sure the data partitions are mirrored daily using Beyond Compare's folder sync.

#8 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:17 AM

I did, I bought it yesterday. I got a 2tb usb3 drive. Looking forward to trying it out. I'm downloading PhotoRec now.

#9 jwmghf

jwmghf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

I made a copy of the entire partition. I used a little program called, "Find And Mount". It was the only software I could find that actually found and mounted it. Problem is it's read only. I can't add, change or delete anything. Not real useful for most operations. Once it's mounted can I use something else to revive the partition?

Edited by jwmghf, 22 August 2011 - 03:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users