Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internet safety guides for beginners?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 madden83

madden83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:31 PM

Hi hi!

My mum and sister are currently sharing a laptop which would work out fine, but neither of them is particularly savvy online and my sister in particular is very naive and has given her credit card info to those fake virus alert scams before and seems to fall for those fake virus scanners a lot(she's well-meaning, just naive). They're both facebook addicts and are on there a lot and my sister reads a lot of fan fiction too, but that's about it, so I don't know where they're even getting this stuff from! After having to remove a rather obnoxius virus from their computer today(thanks to helpful guides on this site), I'm looking for some kind of educational info on how not to fill your computer with viruses, etc. that I can get them to read.

I don't mind helping out when things go wrong, but I'm a mac user myself, so I'm unfamiliar with the OS and the programs and fixes and having to learn it all from scratch whenever there's a problem then try and fix it...It's not ideal! So I'm hoping we can do some preventing instead and save everybody some stress. I've set it up so windows updates download and install automatically now, but beyond that I don't know what security things need to be done. McAfee is installed, but it doesn't seem to be catching these viruses, have checked that it is up-to-date and the same for internet explorer. What else can I set up on their computer to help(again, as a mac user I have no idea beyond knowing they should be keeping everything updated and letting windows update frequently).

Basically, I want to help them learn to take care of things themselves and I'm hoping there's some guides out there explaining about dodgy pop-ups and the like claiming they have viruses as I keep telling them not to download this stuff, etc. but they're still getting them and I do think it's my sister clicking on things saying the computer is infected and infecting it as a result.

Thanks for any help you can give D:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

These might help :)

~Blade

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users