Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Road Warrior Laptop Advice Wanted!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Fly4Fun2

Fly4Fun2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 10:13 PM

I am entering a new stage of my career and it will lead me on the road - a lot! I need a laptop that fills the following needs:

- Must be tough. I am worried about dropping it or having something spill on it while I am traveling.
- Must have fast internet access via wi-fi. I am not sure about wireless internet (i.e verizon) and the coverage. Any opinions would be appreciated.
- Battery length - semi-important - I want to be able to work or watch a dvd while spending hours on a plane or in an airport.
- Safety - if it is stolen, I want it to be very hard for someone to access my files.
- gaming is NOT important.
- weight is NOT important - I am a pretty big guy and just don't see a few pounds really bothering me.
- No Apples....sorry, the software I use is not designed for Apple.
- No small keyboards - I want as close to a full size keyboard as I can get.
- Price is not super important - I want to get a good value, but don't have to buy the cheapest one out there. I also don't want to buy the most expensive if I am not going to use the stuff I am paying extra for.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:40 AM

- Must be tough. I am worried about dropping it or having something spill on it while I am traveling.
- Must have fast internet access via wi-fi. I am not sure about wireless internet (i.e verizon) and the coverage. Any opinions would be appreciated.
- Battery length - semi-important - I want to be able to work or watch a dvd while spending hours on a plane or in an airport.
- Safety - if it is stolen, I want it to be very hard for someone to access my files.
- gaming is NOT important.
- weight is NOT important - I am a pretty big guy and just don't see a few pounds really bothering me.
- No Apples....sorry, the software I use is not designed for Apple.
- No small keyboards - I want as close to a full size keyboard as I can get.
- Price is not super important - I want to get a good value, but don't have to buy the cheapest one out there. I also don't want to buy the most expensive if I am not going to use the stuff I am paying extra for.

Well based on your needs, I suggest either the dell laptop, Pentium M, Price: 1000-1200

Advantages:

1. Its rumored to be tough, Not tough enough to withstand being ran over with a car, but if dropped it will still work.

2. Comes with a 2 hour default battery with intense power saver options for running on low battery while still performing well.

3. Comes with a semi-okay wireless card, great for airports and travelers.

4. IF you set a bios password it will be nearly impossible for someone to steal your password unless the villain replaces the laptop motherboard wich is very complicated without extreme expirience.

5. Theyre not uber thin, and not huge. Perfect size.

6. Im not much used to laptop keyboard's, but Ive typed on quite a few and this is one of the better.

7. Reatils around 1000$-1200$ usd

Links to some really good deals at newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834110176

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834117144

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16834117088

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users