Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Menu - all program folders empty following virus removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AJM2011

AJM2011

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Hi there.

I've recently removed the Windows XP Security 2012 virus using the instructions posted elsewhere on this forum.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2012

However, while I have managed to restore the program folders in my start menu, they are all empty and will not operate.

I am using an ACER desktop PC with Windows XP Home Edition, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

For info, I'm based in the UK so running on GMT.

Can anyone help?

Thanks all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

Mind telling us...exactly how you "managed to restore the program folders in my start menu" ?

If they are restored, why are they empty?

Does that mean that you have searched your system for the appropriate .exe files for those programs?

System manufacturer and mdoel?

Louis

#3 AJM2011

AJM2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I managed to restore the folders using some advice sourced from this forum but didn't have the foresight to note down the steps taken. I removed a number of registry entries, I remember that. Basically, the program names appear in the start menu but when you look into each listing on the start menu, the links to run the programs are all missing.

System is an ACER desktop. What other information would be helpful to you?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Well...it would be interesting to see what registry keys you decided were not critical...such behavior can lead to the situation you describe.

Can we get a specific model...Acer system? They make a variety of such and they aren't all using the same support documentation.

Do you have an XP install CD?

Louis

#5 AJM2011

AJM2011
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:10 PM

Louis - thanks again for the interest. I've admitted temporary defeat with the PC in question - having removed the XP Security and Google redirect virus I was unable to locate the smtmp file that other threads has identified as being critical to restore the start menu items. I suspect I probably deleted this in error whilst trying to remove the XP Security virus.

I've re-installed several programs and fingers crossed the viruses won't return. I only have an ACER CD which presumably can help if I decide to reformat down the line but would need to check - the PC is at my parents and I've just returned from there so can't take any further action at this time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users