Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Erratic Wireless Speeds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:43 AM

Yesterday, I was downloading a large file at around 700kBps for a couple hours, which is a good speed, I liked that speed, and over the course of an hour it dropped to about 80kBps, and hasn't moved all night. I didn't do anything to change it, I even disconnected my other computers from the internet just in case, but it hasn't moved in 16 hours.

Is there a way to optimize wireless speeds or something? this is ridiculous.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

From my experience, this is typical performance for the majority of household internet connections out there (if not all) when downloading large files via the browser. The download starts fast (on the order of a few hundred KB/s), then gradually slows to around 50-100KB/s where it remains until finished.

I'm not sure if this is a feature of the browser itself (torrent programs, download managers, and things like Steam can maintain the high speeds), or a consequence of the protocol used (http/ftp).

I can do some research if you're interested.

Either way, it's not your wireless adapter.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

I was torrenting, not downloading from a browser. I have also used steam to download Black Ops, and that wavered between 250kBps and 10kBps.

#4 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

I dunno. Regardless, it's not your wireless adapter.
PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users