Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SM Bus Controller, Can't update

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:18 AM

Hey, all. Basically, I had a laptop go mental on me and I took it to the shop. It was returned to me having been wiped and Windows reinstalled. I was having problems playing videos, if I remember correctly (this was many months ago) there was no sound on videos when I got it back. I called the guy at the shop, he said to go to device manager and update drivers. I've never done it before but I thought I'd figured it out and all seemed to have worked, save this SM Bus controller thing. I'd forgotten about it, really. Videos never played quite as well on this thing since the reinstallation, youtube, netflix, downloaded videos, etc, but they had at least played. Well, as time's gone on, now the fan kicks on loudly and very easily, if I play a game or video, especially on netflix, this thing overheats FAST and then shuts off within minutes lately. Also...IF, and I mean "IF" it recognizes a cd or dvd at all, it takes forever and the actual contents aren't fully displayed and don't work anyway! I figured the thing was on its last legs and I'd have to think about shelling out dough for a replacement when I ran into a supposedly pretty knowledgeable guy who mentioned it was probably drivers not updating. It's all Greek to me but I did remember about the thing that didn't update when I tried to take care of that myself. Anyway, I found the device manager again and this SM Bus Controller won't update. I have no idea, with my limited understanding of this stuff, if that one little thing could be causing this much trouble. I'd appreciate your input either way but if you think it's that, please tell me what to do for updating this. I've failed trying some shots in the dark on it.

Posted Image

Posted Image
I didn't know what to do here, because I'm not the one who installed anything, so I went ahead, with no disk that I know of and got:

Posted Image

I'm so confused, I forgot the why but I was reading about a similar problem on another site and downloaded something related to "chipset" which I don't know anything about and the programs said I didn't have the system requirements to install them. Any ideas?
Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:07 AM

To solve SM Bus controller driver issue you have install chipset driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

if you have driver CD that came with your computer when you buy you could install it with that driver CD.
if you doesn't have driver CD, please tell what computer that you have, Brand and Model.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

if you have driver CD that came with your computer when you buy you could install it with that driver CD.
if you doesn't have driver CD, please tell what computer that you have, Brand and Model.

I got the computer secondhand from someone else. I do have a Windows XP installation CD somewhere? But the system hasn't been able to read CD's properly, lately. Can this SM Bus thing cause all of the trouble mentioned or probably not, abauw?

Information that might be relevant listed on System Spec Program:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (Build 2600)
Mobile AMD Sempron™ Processor 3300+
Conexant AMC Audio
Hewlett-Packard 30AE
Presario V5000 (ET820UA#ABA)
Chipset - ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M Series (0x5955)

Edited by SmartasaRock, 30 July 2011 - 10:06 PM.

Before you judge me, know that when I do something wrong it's because I'm an idiot, not because I'm evil.

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

Go here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=499849#N270
Download and install chipset driver.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

Go here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=228&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=499849#N270
Download and install chipset driver.

Okay, B. Thanks for the link. I have downloaded it and it still will not update SM Bus. I have since restarted the computer also.

#7 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:41 AM

on device manager, please click "SM BUS Controller" and click "Details" tab.
copy and paste below "Device Instance ID" on your next post.

#8 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:59 AM

on device manager, please click "SM BUS Controller" and click "Details" tab.
copy and paste below "Device Instance ID" on your next post.

Hey, Ab. Here you go: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4372&SUBSYS_30AE103C&REV_11\3&13C0B0C5&0&A0

#9 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:08 AM

please try download and install this.
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp31001-31500/sp31190.exe

please tell what happen after you install it.

#10 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:47 AM

please try download and install this.
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp31001-31500/sp31190.exe

please tell what happen after you install it.

Done. At the end, I got this message:

Posted Image

I don't understand it though. :crazy:

#11 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Sorry, first I need you to confirm your HP Computer type, please click link below.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00613084&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=1841905
Does this you computer?

if yes, sorry about wrong driver that I and Broni gave, that because we looking at another type.

#12 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:09 AM

Sorry, first I need you to confirm your HP Computer type, please click link below.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00613084&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=1841905
Does this you computer?

if yes, sorry about wrong driver that I and Broni gave, that because we looking at another type.

No sorry necessary, I'm just grateful for your time. I don't know about each particular listed but that's the right product name and number on the link there.

Edited by SmartasaRock, 31 July 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#13 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

hope this time right.
please download this ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 Series Driver
after you download it, install it and please tell what happen.

#14 SmartasaRock

SmartasaRock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

hope this time right.
please download this ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200 Series Driver
after you download it, install it and please tell what happen.

Bit o' good news, Ab. The SM Bus question mark is GONE. Thanks to you two for your time and brain power to figure that one out. I checked for some of the problems my friend had suggested the update might help, to see if that had cleared any of it up. For whatever may've done it, I haven't noticed the fan going nuts and the system overheating yet this morning, but CD's/DVD's still aren't being read properly or not at all and online videos like on netflix are still all buggy. Posted Image

#15 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:03 PM

Nice to know that your problem solved :thumbsup: