Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No keyboard input at startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Inglis

Jim Inglis

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:56 AM

G'day

I'm getting a strange problem when starting up my computer. On initial boot, one of the messages on screen is "press del to enter setup". At this point, the keyboard works fine-I can go in and change BIOS settings without any problem. However, if I let it contimue booting up, another message appears-"Press any key to boot from CD". This is the one I want, but at this point the keyboard has no effect. Even pressing F8 does nothing.

There isn't any problem once Windows starts-everything works as normal.

Any assistance or advice would be very welcome.

I'm trying to load Windows 7 over XP.

Edited by hamluis, 04 August 2011 - 08:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Win 7.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 .X.

.X.

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:58 AM

Try another keyboard. Do the numlock, etc LEDs flash as it's posting?

#3 abauw

abauw

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

However, if I let it contimue booting up, another message appears-"Press any key to boot from CD". This is the one I want, but at this point the keyboard has no effect. Even pressing F8 does nothing.

do you have insert a Bootable CD/DVD on your CD/DVD Drive? if not that is your problem and answer, if you doesn't insert a Bootable CD/DVD on CD/DVD Drive than your system will ignore any key that you press and bypass it and go to next second boot option which is Hardrive.

if you doesn't want to see "Press any key to boot from CD" notification, you could go to BIOS and change first boot option from CD/DVD Drive to Hardrive (that contains you OS).

Edited by abauw, 30 July 2011 - 12:51 PM.

:guitar: Take me to a place where time is frozen
You don't have to close your eyes to dream :busy:
You can find escape inside this moment :smash:
And I will follow  :whistle:

#4 Jim Inglis

Jim Inglis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:15 AM

G'day

Good news & bad-I managed to get the keyboard working. There's a setting in CMOS I'hadn't noticed before referring to keyboard support. I reset that and off it went!

On the down side, on start up now I'm getting the option to start "Windows 7 or a previous version". Anybody know how o get rid of this?

Also, when I was running XP on this computer I had the drive partitioned. Now I've got a big lump of the drive "unallocated". How do I combine this with drive C?

Any ideas would be very welcome.

Regards

JJI

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:58 AM

<<...getting the option to start "Windows 7 or a previous version".>>

That indicates that you using the boot files from the Win 7, which is normal. The "previous version" refers to the XP install which you seem to have deleted.

I'm moving this to the Win 7 forum...if XP is not on the system, there is no reason for it to be in the XP forum.

Louis

#6 theternalnoob

theternalnoob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

How much of the drive is unallocated?
All drives need some unallocated space. This is usually determined by the size of the drive and the OS. while i'm not sure about combining it with the C drive (without deleting and recreating it) you could format it as the D or something through the windows CD boot disk.
Hope this helps :thumbup2:
always and everywhere
n00bs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users