Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reappearing cookies\Rootkit infection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff32002

Jeff32002

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

Hello, I've been fighting an infection for a couple days now. XP antivirus 2012 started popping whenever I would try to run certain .exe files. I've scanned with Malwarebytes anti-malware that didn't seem find anything. I tried scanning with Superantispyware
and it would find the same cookies over and over again. Combofix found the virus(I thought) but everytime I rebooted it seemed like my machine would just reinfect itself. Hitman pro finally found(I think) the actual infection which was a tdl3/alureon rootkit infection. I also ran tdsskiller and came up clean. Hitman pro and SAS still find the same cookies. I browsed around in the folders C:\documents and settings\jeff\templates that it said the infection was in and found about 10 suspicious .exe files named 4 random letters that were created at the time I was infected... Which leads me to believe that I'm still infected. I deleted all the suspect .exe files. Any suggestions on how to get rid of the remnants of this thing?

Edited by hamluis, 30 July 2011 - 07:28 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:33 AM

cookies are a text file, and as such don't pose a threat. Your problem is elsewhere. I think you will be better served to post in a malware or anti virus forum where asn expert can guide you with removal.
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 BarkiAl

BarkiAl

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:04 AM

Have you tried burning a AVG Recover Disk You can download it here http://www.avg.com/us-en/download-file-cd-arl-iso

Download and install Active@ ISO Burner
Click HERE for ISOBurner Instructions.
Install the program, and follow the next set of steps.

After you install Active@ ISO Burner, put a blank cd-r in your burner and double click on the AVG Rescue CD.iso you downloaded and Active@ ISO Burner should automatically open up.....now click BURN.

The program is very easy to use, you'll just be pressing Enter most of the time but here's how it goes:

1. After the rescue cd is made, boot-up the sick computer, put the rescue cd in and then restart it.
Note: In order to do so, the computer must be set to boot from the CD first. For information on how to do that....click HERE.2. At the Boot Menu: Choose AVG Rescue CD (1) and press Enter

3. Let it load, at the "Disclaimer Screen"... just choose I agree or not and press Enter

4. At the "Update Screen", choose Yes and press EnterNext screen, Choose Update from Internet and press Enter5. At the "Update Priority Configuration" window, choose Priority 2 Virus Database Update and press Enter

6. Let it update and when finished, Press any key to continue

7. You end up back at the "Update Screen", choose Return and press Enter

8. Your at the "Main Menu" screen, choose Scan, press Enter

9. "Scan Type Menu", choose "Volumes Scan - Selected Volumes" and press Enter

10. "Scan Volumes", choose "OK" and press Enter

11. "Scan Options", choose "OK[" and press Enter

12. "Run Scan", choose "Yes" and press Enter

13. When scan is complete, Press any key to continue

14. "Info screen", choose "OK" and press Enter

15. To see the scan report, select "Report File" and press Enter
Please look over the list as some files can be crucial for the Windows system and deleting them can make it inoperative, if in your not sure pleaseGoogle the file or files.

16. "Scan Results Menu", use the up and down keys and choose "Select - Handle single or groups of infected files", press Enter
Go through the files and choose to Rename the infected file, don't choose Delete!
This is important....Rename<---

17. Read the "Warning Screen", "Yes" and Enter

18. Back to "Scan Results Menu", choose "Back or Return" to get to the "Main Menu" and then choose ---->Reboot System
Don't forget to take out the rescue cd.

19. All the malware files will be renamed to "_INFECTED.arl", to find all of these files....
Go to Start > Search > All Files and Folders > type "_INFECTED.arl" and click search.
Example: malware.exe would be renamed to malware.exe_infected.arl

20. Note: If you find the cd doesn't load, it's most likely do to a bad download or bad burn, download the file again and burn it at a slower speed.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

Hello having run ComboFix we need to see that and a DDS log.

Please go here....
Preparation Guide ,do steps 6 - 9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
Skip the GMER step and instead post the ComboFix log you posted earlier.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic412036.html you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users