Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM for Dell Dimension 4550

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kaidacat

Kaidacat

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

I have a Dell with only 256MB of RAM. A friend has an old Dell Optiplex that he's not using, with two sticks of RAM he might be willing to sell at a fairly low price. However, I don't know if they're compatible. I know it's not likely to mess up my computer, but they're both based off Intel processors. Should the Optiplex's RAM be compatible with the Dimension's, or will I simply have to try it and find out?

A lot of websites I've checked have different part numbers for them, but they sell the sticks for the Optiplex in pairs instead of individually, so I don't know if that would change the part umber or not.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:19 AM

This is what you need for the 4550
My link

Optiplex has different models. My link

do a search for both machines & see the difference
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:37 AM

Just my opinion?

. A friend has an old Dell Optiplex that he's not using, with two sticks of RAM he might be willing to sell at a fairly low price. However, I don't know if they're compatible

A true Friend would let you test it out in your Machine before asking payment for it.

That is the difference in Friendship.

Try that?

Ray

Edited by Drovers Dog, 30 July 2011 - 06:43 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#4 Kaidacat

Kaidacat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:20 AM

@USN Vet--Thank you! Definitely a useful page, I should have tried finding that before asking questions. Thank you for the link!

@Dog--Since he's technically my boss and it's definitely a work computer, I used the term 'friend' to simplify my explanation. Also, I haven't brought it up with him yet, I wanted to check the compatibility before I started taking pieces out of the computer in question.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:31 AM

That is fine by me, Mate

Ray
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users