Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP (Vista) laptop not booting, black screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 msmurda

msmurda

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:24 PM

Hi, I'm writing for a friend who has a HP Pavillion laptop running Vista. For the past few weeks, his laptop was pot luck pick as to weather it would boot up or not. It's gradually gotten worse from 50% of the time to 20% of the time. When he powers up, he gets the black screen, no logo, no cursor, etc. He's tried reconnecting power, battery, etc. to no avail. He said he wasn't able to get into safe mode either but I'm not sure he really attempted that properly. If I can get into safe mode (tell me how), what can we do to see if it's been infected? Could this be a hard drive issue? It's almost 3yrs old. He said he could not recall any particular "odd" incident occurring just prior to this issue. Thank you in advance for any assistance you may be able to offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:14 AM

Crashes (BSOD), unexpected shutdowns, sudden freezing, random restarting, and booting problems could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and sometimes malware. Even legitimate programs like CD Emulators (Daemon Tools, Alchohol 120%, Astroburn, AnyDVD) can trigger crashes, various stop error messages and system hangs so you may want to disable them if using any while troubleshooting. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis. Troubleshooting for these kinds of issues can be arduous and time consuming. There are no shortcuts.

Please reboot in "safe mode with networking", then download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and RKill by Grinler, saving them to your desktop.RKill.exe Download Link
RKill.com Download Link
RKill.scr Download LinkRenamed versions if the above do not work:
iExplore.exe Download Link
eXplorer.exe Download Link <- this renamed copy is usually effective but may trigger an alert from MBAM...just ignore it.
WiNlOgOn.exe Download Link
uSeRiNiT.exe Download Link
alternate link with all versionsRKill is available in several versions to include renamed versions in case one does not work, you can try another. As such, you may want to download and save more than one before proceeding.

After installing Malwarebytes', reboot normally, then proceed as follows:
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
    Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, and try another version.
  • If it still does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining version until the tool runs.
  • Note: You may have to make repeated attempts to use RKill several times before it will run as some malware variants try to block it.
  • A log file will be created and saved to the root directory, C:\RKill.log
  • Copy and paste the contents of RKill.log in your next reply.
-- If you get an alert that RKill is infected, ignore it. The alert is a fake warning given by the rogue software which attempts to terminate tools that try to remove it. If you see such a warning, leave the warning on the screen and then run RKill again. By not closing the warning, this sometimes allows you to bypass the malware's attempt to protect itself so that RKill can perform its routine.

-- Some security tools may flag RKill as malware, especially when renamed to iexplore.exe, explorer.exe, winlogon.exe, etc because they have definitions in place that flag certain file names used outside their normal path. If you encounter such an alert when running Rkill, you can safely ignore it and continue to allow the program to run.

Important: Do not reboot your computer until after performing a scan with Malwarebyes'. A scan must be completed immediately after running RKill.

Perform a Quick Scan in normal mode with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and follow these instructions. Check all items found for removal. Don't forgot to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning and to reboot afterwards. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware. When done, click the Logs tab and copy/paste the contents of the new report in your next reply.

If it comes to the point where you cannot boot up at all, then these are your Windows Vista Repair Options:
Note: Some of the guides above overlap or provide duplicate information. I provided them all as some are easier to understand depending on the user's level of experience.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 msmurda

msmurda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Thank you for your response, I'll be working on this later tonight and I'll let you know what happens.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,608 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:37 PM

Ok.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif