Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How come my posts get 0 views and others get thousands?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gameggg

Gameggg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

I posted a question in the Windows XP forum for help and Im wondering why a post that was made shortly after mine has 295 views and mine still has zero. Am I doing something wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

The majority of views for bulletin board posts are from search spiders and other anonymous entities, rather than from real people. So a post with an unusually large number of views probably has a title that is attractive to Google spiders and other search bots, whereas your topic title might be generic enough that until some forum members read your topic, the view count will stay at or near zero. That's my "educated guess".
Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:55 PM

Your topic is a little over an hour old and it would be impossible to garner the 'thousands' of views you allude to. At any given time there are on average 1000-1200 visitors, Both registered and unregistered. Only registered members can reply. So views of your topic are not an indicator of who or who may not reply. Only registered members can reply to topics. Thousands of views are just that looking at a topic, but if they aren't registered it doesn't change anything regarding a reply.

I'm willing to bet that topic you say has 295 views was created on July 20th and has two pages of replies. The time stamp you see is the time stamp of the last person who replies not the original post timestamp.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:36 AM

Another factor:

Although there may be many registered members online at any given time some of them will be here looking for help with their issues.
They are not interested in the problems of other people.

Others want to help but may know nothing about your issue, so they skip over it. That is a good thing-you don't want someone who has no clue advising you.

The BC community is made up of real people who have real lives. We are here as time allows. Patience is the key-you need to wait until someone with knowledge of your issue sees it and responds.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 30 July 2011 - 08:38 AM.

#5 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

Just of interest? This Post of yours has over 100 views yet only 4 replies?

Patience is much more than a virtue

Ray.
What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users