Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about drivers and updates before I download anything

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gameggg

Gameggg

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

First off, sorry if this is the wrong forum or section for this question. I read down the list but couldn't really decide where to post this. Let me know if there is another section where I should move this or somewhere else where I might get more responses.

I have been using my computer for about 3 weeks. I bought it from someone who custom made it. It had a clean install of Windows XP but it has been running pathetically from day 1.

It is slow, glitchy, and gives errors. The sound quality is also bad and crackles a lot.

After doing a bit of reading on the net Ive been led to believe that this computer is out of date with its drivers and that is what's causing all of this.

Here are the system Specifications that dxdiag shows:

2048 MB of Ram
Page file: 484 MB used, 3453 MB available
Processor: AMD Sempron™Prcessor 3000+, MMX, 3DNow,~1.8GHz
System Manufacturer: AWARD_
System Model:AWARDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00pg
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)
Computer Name: OWNER-5A18BC4B4
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

However the sticky piece of paper that I assume the person who made this computer put on it, says 80G (not sure what), 268(not sure if its a B or and 8) ram, Xp SP3, and NVIDA Titanium 4200.

I have no idea why what this sticky says and what dxdiag says are different. I think I read somewhere that dxdiag is not very accurate, is this true?

Here are some specs from the System Hardware Device Manager:

Under computer it says ACPI Uniprocessor PC and in properties it says:
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 7/1/2001
Driver Version: 5.1.2600.0

Under Display Adapters it says NVIDA Geforce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
Driver provider: NVIDIA
Driver Date: 10/22/2006
Driver Version: 6.14.10.9371

Is there any reason to think any of this might be incorrect?

The reason I am asking about this is because I read that installing the incorrect drivers will cause my computer to stop working completely.

I also read something about getting drivers for something called BIOS and that I should be careful which one I get.

Can anyone who has experience with updating drivers help me so I dont download the wrong ones and that my computer can start working properly.

Some other additonal information:

I have high speed internet

I am using the free trial of Norton 360 and have deleted all other antivirus and antispyware programs as I have read that they will conflict with each other and cause my computer to run slow.

I was going to use a registry cleaner program but I read that they are not safe and the computer is still quite new so I dont think its too cluttered yet anyway.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

I was going to use a registry cleaner program but I read that they are not safe and the computer is still quite new so I dont think its too cluttered yet anyway.

This is correct, as registry cleaners most times do not know what they are actually cleaning.

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

Thank You -

#3 Gameggg

Gameggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 04:20 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RNNSwyx2uF5xNwqCBWNDS80\

Here it is.

Are these programs accurate in what they see?

#4 Gameggg

Gameggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I tried going to Phoneix Technologies website but the only driver support they offer is a program that you have to pay to use and has a lot of bad reviews.

Ive tried looking in some driver search engines but havent found anything. Im don't really know what Im looking for either.

Any help would be appreiciated.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:27 AM

First of all, there's no such thing as a driver being "out of date".

Please state the EXACT problems you are having, one at a time, and let's see if we can address them. Also, please look in Device Manager and let us know if there are any yellow or red symbols.

#6 Gameggg

Gameggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:23 PM

Thats strange, Ive read several articles and help guides that say a reason my computer might be running slowly is that my drivers are "out of date".

Heres some links to a few of them.

http://xpdrivers.com/performance/slow-computer-check-your-drivers/
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

I didnt see any red or yellow symbols in the device manager.

Im not sure how to articulate whats exactly wrong with my computer other than saying that its sluggish, freezes, gives windows error report pop ups, and has bad sound quality that crackles.

Maybe you can throw some things at me and I can tell you if thats what its like or not.

Thanks for your help.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:34 AM

Thats strange, Ive read several articles and help guides that say a reason my computer might be running slowly is that my drivers are "out of date".

Heres some links to a few of them.

http://xpdrivers.com/performance/slow-computer-check-your-drivers/
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000179.htm

I didnt see any red or yellow symbols in the device manager.

Im not sure how to articulate whats exactly wrong with my computer other than saying that its sluggish, freezes, gives windows error report pop ups, and has bad sound quality that crackles.

Maybe you can throw some things at me and I can tell you if thats what its like or not.

Thanks for your help.

1) Okay, let me rephrase. Drivers should not be updated just because there is a newer version. The ONLY reason to update a driver is if the newer one offers a function or fix that specifically addresses an issue or need you have. Again, there is no such thing as outdated drivers - that's simply poor wording at the sites you've cited.

2) If you don't know how to describe the specific problems you are having I'm not sure how to help. EXACTLY what happens and when does it happen?

#8 Gameggg

Gameggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 03:01 PM

Ok, here is exactly whats wrong and what happens.

When I open a program it takes longer than any other computer I have used before.

When I click on anything such as a file folder or the start button or anything of the sort it freezes for a second and takes longer to do things.

Web pages load slow, sometimes freeze completly and the task manager will say the program is not repsonding.

Downloads are slow and sometimes freeze.

I cant seem to run games that my system exceeds the requirements for.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,644 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2011 - 05:22 PM

Boot to safe mode. Do programs open normally?

Edited by hamluis, 06 August 2011 - 09:43 AM.
Type :).

#10 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 07 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

gives windows error report pop ups, and has bad sound quality that crackles.

Have you ever thought that your system may have some type of infection causing these problems ? ?

EDIT -
Yes this is a chance, as the person who made it may have surfed the web briefly without any antivirus or firewall -
NOTE - Installation Date: 27 November 2010, 16:15
Has the builder used older parts and not new updated versions ? ? or rehashed an older computer ? ?

Edited by noknojon, 07 August 2011 - 01:40 AM.

#11 Gameggg

Gameggg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:21 PM

It seemed about the same in safe mode. Maybe a little faster, not sure though, hard to tell.

Im not sure what parts were used in making it. I bought it from a man who said someone built it for him as a gaming pc to repay an old debt to him.

He said it was a good system, that it was a gaming pc... but it turns out that he never actually tried it out.

How do I find out if there is an infection? I have norton 360 and the computer had a clean install of windows. Are there things that norton might not pick up?

Sorry for the slow reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users