Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen with only mouse

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:27 PM

I am running Windows 7 64-bit and whenever I start up into normal mode it loads a blank desktop with only a mouse. When I try right clicking or doing ctrl-alt-delete and starting task manager nothing happens. Please help! Thanks

Oh, I forgot to mention that the safe modes do work.

Edited by mcc123mcc, 29 July 2011 - 05:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:30 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:37 PM

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

I thought it might be a virus, but Broni guided me through checking for any infections and nothing came up. I shut it down the other night and it just happened when I started up the next morning. At first I got an error that says "There was a problem starting nvcpl.dll" "Access Denied". I found a clean nvcpl.dll and placed it in system32 in safemode and I'm not getting the error anymore. The latest new sw I put on here was download about 4-5 days before the errors. I really have no idea what the cause could be.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

Since it starts in safe mode, let's try a clean boot and see if it's a process starting with the OS.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#5 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Since it starts in safe mode, let's try a clean boot and see if it's a process starting with the OS.

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Couldn't uncheck "use original boot configuration", but I unchecked the other 2 and will see what happens.

#6 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

Ok, I tried that and there was no change although I did see that 3 of the microsoft services remained checked even after I unchecked those boxes. Should I manually go uncheck those and see what happens?

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

Nope, that's fine. If the problem remains you may have a malware or a hardware issue. I'd start by posting in the Am I Infected forum.

#8 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:52 PM

Nope, that's fine. If the problem remains you may have a malware or a hardware issue. I'd start by posting in the Am I Infected forum.

I did and nothing was found. Is my only option here basicly to just reinstall windows 7?

Edited by mcc123mcc, 30 July 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:59 PM

I can't tell you that's your only option, but it's certainly an option. You might first uninstall the nvidia driver and then download and install the latest nvidia driver. Let's see if that helps at all.

Edited by Allan, 30 July 2011 - 01:59 PM.

#10 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 03:43 PM

I can't tell you that's your only option, but it's certainly an option. You might first uninstall the nvidia driver and then download and install the latest nvidia driver. Let's see if that helps at all.

Alright, could you help me through that? I don't really know how to go about uninstalling and downloading drivers.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

Open device manager (start - run - devmgmt.msc). Then click on the item that says "display adapter". That should then drop down and tell you the exact model you have. Then go to the nvidia website and download the current driver for that model.

Now, follow the instructions here to uninstall your current driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

After rebooting, go to the driver you just downloaded and double-click on the file - the installation will begin.

#12 mcc123mcc

mcc123mcc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

Open device manager (start - run - devmgmt.msc). Then click on the item that says "display adapter". That should then drop down and tell you the exact model you have. Then go to the nvidia website and download the current driver for that model.

Now, follow the instructions here to uninstall your current driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/IO_13955.html

After rebooting, go to the driver you just downloaded and double-click on the file - the installation will begin.

All it says is "Standard VGA graphics adapter"

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,571 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:43 AM

Download and run Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html). What does it list as your display adapter?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users