Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build Post Test Question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mama4cats

mama4cats

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

Novice question, first time building......When power comes on, I get 1 beep then monitor flashes the initial screen that says "DEL" to run setup and "TAB" to display BIOS POST messages.

Choosing either "TAB" or "DEL" flashes screen that says something about looking for drives (too quickly to read) then immediately goes to a screen that says:

ALi SATA BIOS V1.10(M5289)
ALi Corporation 2005, All Rights Reserved
Identifying IDE drives .?.x (cursor sits and flashes here)

and nothing else happens.

Doing nothing skips the screen about looking for drives and goes to the same ALi BIOS message.

The documentation shows the first 2 lines of this message, but says line 3 should be a choice of "Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup."

How long does it take for the "....Press F1....." message to appear?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

Have you tried tapping F2 as soon as you boot? See if you can enter the BIOS.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:07 AM

Acklan, thanks for responding.

I hadn't tried anything else for fear of making it worse. But, I just tried F2 (and F1 too) but it still goes to the ALi BIOS message and nothing else.

I am re-reading the documentation from the board and hard drive and the mfg links to see if I can find anything I missed or anything similar, but so far, no luck.

Anything else I might try?

Thanks.

AMD A10-7700K, MSI A68HM, 2 x 8GB Avexir DDR3 2133, 240GB SSD x 2 & 1TB SATAIII x 4, McAfee, Windows 10 Pro, Office 2016.

#4 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:24 AM

Do what it says and tap del to run setup, chances are this is the bios entrance. If not Try tapping f8.

Once you do get into bios, try making it force recognize your harddrive, if it still fails. Chances are you messed up a jumper setting or incorrectly plugged the drive in.

Edited by Salo, 15 January 2006 - 04:25 AM.

#5 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:50 AM

Thanks Salo

I tried the DEL and the F8, but still no luck.

#6 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 05:53 AM

UPDATE: I disconnected the hard drive, floppy, and both optical drives and powered up, got the "beep", hit DEL and got the BIOS Setup Utility main screen. Set the correct time. Date was correct as is.

Even tho I disconnected the floppy, it still registers it, but it does not register any of the other drives.

Is there a specific order to use in reconnect the drives so I can see what the problem is?

Any input would be appreciated!

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 07:19 AM

HEEEY MAMKITTY :thumbsup: I love cats too. Any ways.
This is very basic so if you have done it be patient. Make sure your CD/DVD drives are not on the same IDE busl as you hard drives. Make sure one is MASTER and one is SLAVE. On each IDE bus ONLY one is MASTER (VERY IMPORTANT). You know I gave my kids a toy flash light for Christmas. It's amazing what they asked for. 2 of the three lights came with bad batteries. Change your motherboard battery.
We will start here. Like I said you probably know all this but bare with me.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 15 January 2006 - 11:57 AM

Acklan has pretty well covered this, I would just add to make sure that the master optical drive is at the end of the IDE cabel, opposed to the middle connector, and that the jumper on the master/slave units are in the correct locations.

As for the order of connections, I would put the hdd first, disk drives next, and the floppy last. I would also go to the Auto-Detect Hard Drive section and make sure that the option for auto-detect has been enabled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 mama4cats

mama4cats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 08:39 PM

Thanks all,

I reconnected the hdd first, then tried to power up. It gave me the beep, started tapping "DEL", gave the board mfg. splash screen, then went to this again:

ALi SATA BIOS V1.10(M5289)
ALi Corporation 2005, All Rights Reserved
Identifying IDE drives .?.x

and did nothing else.

The hdd is Maxtor Serial ATA with a power connection and an interface cable connection. Asus board has connections for SATA (1 & 2) default BIOS setting is "Enabled". I tried looking for information on the CD that came with the board, but it appears to be defective and will not run, so after going to ASUS website for useful info and finding nothing, I sent an email to their support group.

Looks like I'm in over my head here :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users