Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop no longer recognizes CD's

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MisezB

MisezB

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:18 AM

i recently had a virus, which has been gotten rid of, but now my computer no longer knows if there is anything in my CD/DVD drive. i'm not sure if these two things are related or not, but the trouble seemed to occur around the same time. is this something the virus could have damaged? and if so, what can i do to fix it, or can i?
if it's not something a virus might have done, and the timing is purely coincidental, then what may be wrong, and how might i go about fixing it? i know for a lot of things, the software can be downloaded from the internet, but i wouldn't know what i need or where to look. i was planning on reinstalling Windows, because the virus left some lingering problems, but without a working CD drive...
anyway, i'd appreciate any help or suggestions!
thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MisezB

MisezB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

PS
i'm running windows XP, if that is at all helpful.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:52 AM

Its possible that autoplay is disabled.

If you put a cd of any sort in the drive and go to My Computer does the system acknowledge that a disk is in the drive?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 MisezB

MisezB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:55 AM

no. it doesn't. it acknowledges that the drive is there, but it doesn't say anything is in there. you know how it renames the drive, or whatever, based on what cd you have in there? it doesn't do that. and if you click on the drive, it just opens up an empty window.

#5 Alex_B

Alex_B

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:00 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:19 PM

If your drive works at all, then you will be able to reinstall XP. It doesn't matter whether XP itself recognises it, since it's the BIOS that needs to be able to boot from CD. So have you tried putting your XP CD into the drive and booting from it?

Here is another suggestion to test the drive: make a bootable Ubuntu USB stick, boot from it (click "try Ubuntu without installing") and see if your CD ROM drive works under Ubuntu. If not, then the drive is simply broken. This route has the advantage of possibly freeing you from an old virus-ridden operating system, should you like Ubuntu.

#6 ROZCKA

ROZCKA

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:58 AM

There's also the possibility that the optical lens is filthy and needs cleaning...worth a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users