Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq F700 boot problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blufx

Blufx

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

I have a strange boot problem on a Compaq F753wm laptop. When started, it reports no OS found. The hard drive tested bad, so I replaced it. Now I can't get it to boot to any device. When I first started work on it, it would boot to DVD but I didn't have the new drive yet. Later, sometimes it would, sometimes it wouldn't. I created a USB install memory stick. It worked one time before the new drive. Now that have replaced the drive, it won't. It won't boot from DVD or USB with the old drive either. I can change the boot order in bios, no difference. The option to boot from USB or DVD isn't there when I hit F9 for boot menu. It is in the bios however.
Here's the clincher, the old drive is not only recognized in my other computer, but it'll boot up and load Windows. it still test as a bad drive though. I cloned the old drive to the new one, tried it in the laptop...it worked one time. Then it said no OS found. Put in my desktop and it works fine. I've run CHKDSK on both while connected to my desktop with no avail. I've changed the DVD drive, and memory. Can FixMBR be run on the laptop drive while it's connected to my desktop?

Anyone got some ideas?

Mark

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2011 - 11:20 AM.
Moved from System Buiding to Internal Hardware.

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

one thing to check would be that the HDD connector is fully seated in the motherboard I have seen quite a bit of issues created by this tiny connecter and would recomend you start your troubleshooting here
link to the piece i am takling about.
http://www.amazon.com/Compaq-DV6000-DV9000-Connector-DFHS22FR685/dp/B0041LDAUQ
also make sure none of the blades are bent as they must seat into the contact perfectly for the drive to opperate.after checking all of this then go back into the bios and ensure the devices are enabled in the boot order.

last ditch effort is to reset the bios to default and try to boot to hdd again.

let me know after you do this if it is still not working and I will try and help more.
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 Blufx

Blufx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply.
Yeah, I've worried about that little piece. I don't know why, but I never did like this setup, although I've never directly connected it to a problem. For that reason, I always make sure of the connections. The part looks good with no bent blades. Your last ditch effort suggestion was among the many things I tried many times before posting here. But I'm still open to more.

Looking back....I should have been a lot more specific when I said I wanted to be somebody.albertavatar.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users