Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

display error nvlddmkm

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 camilla123

camilla123

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi,
Computer Model: HP Pavillion DV9700.
I have had the nvlddmkm error appear on my laptop and now all i have is a black screen when i turn my laptop on and i can't do anything, not even enter in safe mode as some have suggested. I can hear the system trying to startup, as I can hear the fan & it allows me to open the optical drive, therefore I take it that it IS booting up, yet no display I have connected my laptop to an external moniter using a VGA cable, and the external moniter is still showing the black screen. What do i do next?

Edited by hamluis, 29 July 2011 - 12:17 PM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 USN Vet

USN Vet

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 08:10 AM

Six steps to try : My link
Feel free to ignore my comment, just another user !

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

First place I would look, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3632106&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3632106&objectID=c00480483

Louis

#4 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

The GPU in my dv9700 failed at just short of the 3 year mark. I decided to do a motherboard replacement.(~$100 from eBay) instead of buying an equivalent new system (~$2000 from HP). In the process of replacing it I discovered a possible source of the problem. The issue is that the heat sink assembly comes in two pieces. There is the main unit that has the fan and cools the CPU, and a secondary unit that sits next to it and cools the GPU. They are separated by a small 1/8th inch gap, and over time dust and lint collect in that gap. When I pulled the fan I discovered that the GPU cooler was about 80% blocked! No wonder it failed.
Design flaw? Yes, but a subtle one that would only show up after extended in-field use. The real kicker is that cleaning it is extremely difficult. The system is built around the motherboard. It has to be completely disassembled to get fan out. One thing that might help is to try to suck it out through the exhaust vent with a vacuum. The fan is in the left-rear corner. The main exhaust for the CPU blows out the back. The exhaust for the GPU blows out to the left.
I do however know of a fix you can try before ordering a new motherboard. Go to youtube and search on how to reflow motherboards. (if you are a DIY like I am and give it a shot. Even if it doesn’t work you are no worse than when you started.

Larry D. Lawrence II
Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users