Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rjosro

rjosro

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:43 AM

Greetings, so I was fixing a computer last night that my brother brought to me, same as usual, well, when booting it i tried to load windows as per normal, but it loaded to a black screen with cursor. before we get started, im running a custom rig here, two gtx 570 graphics cards, 12 gigs of ram, windows 7 pro OS

here is a list of things i have tried, as per my research.

letting it time out, (8 hours total wait time) no luck
ran sfc /scannow, would not run (said there was a repair that required a reboot, tried that like 5 times)
tried ctrl alt delete, no response, tried shift 5 times, a dulled version of access center came up, that did not let me access the main one, tried windows key p didn't work
ran start up repair, 4 times, didn't work
tried safe mode, didn't work
tried keyboard commands in safe mode, didn't work
tried system restore, didn't work

at this point, i am out of ideas, and would like to avoid a format at ALL costs.

any feedback would be VERY appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:34 AM

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/06/05/get-the-recovery-console-back-in-windows-7/

I would try the bootrec /fixmbr command.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users