Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help, moving everything off my laptop to Seagate?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sassy98

sassy98

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

Okay, so my last question wasn't answered, and I realized you guys are all volunteers in answering questions.

So, if you guys help me out, I promise to donate a small portion (I'm a broke student) of my proceeds to this site. Or a charity, for who ever answers.

I'm selling my 4 year used dell 1501 laptop tomorrow. It's beat up, battery is dead and keyboard is broken.

Anyway, I have lots of files on this laptop (mainly 4 years of University work, word documents, some pictures) that are REALLY important to me and not backed up anywhere yet.

I have a seagate external drive, 500 gb, that I bought from future shop a year ago and haven't used yet. I'm transferring files but I started reading reviews of Seagate external drives online & like 90% of them are bad. Saying how it dies/stops working easily. True?

I'm worried about my files, is there a safer place I can store them? does it make more sense to buy a bunch of usbs to transfer onto them?

Also, when i'm transferring, it's only coping the shortcut. (eg: My documents shortcut). Is that fine, or should I cut and paste into the hard drive?

Lastly, is there any worry I should have about personal security. I did all my banking on this laptop. Should I reboot, or is deleting my cookies enough?

Thank you, I know my questions must be annoying!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

<<So, if you guys help me out, I promise to donate a small portion (I'm a broke student) of my proceeds to this site. Or a charity, for who ever answers.>>

IMO, that's a pretty insulting statement to the membership here. If you want to throw money in an effort to resolve computer problems...there are many agencies out there that cater to such.

As for the questions raised in your topic...the methods of moving/transfering data are many and varied. The methods of safeguarding data...are varied.

IMO, the simplest thing to do would be to clone the current hard drive...to another drive.

Moving data files can be done via any number of means.

If you are thinking of moving installed programs and the O/S...to a different computer...I suggest that you look into software which purports to do this...but i further suggest that you realize that the settings and hardware drivers for another system...will be different and create problems.

<<I have a seagate external drive, 500 gb, that I bought from future shop a year ago and haven't used yet. I'm transferring files but I started reading reviews of Seagate external drives online & like 90% of them are bad. Saying how it dies/stops working easily. True?>>

Since I don't know what you've been reading...or the credibility of the human source...I will only say that the hard drive inside an external enclosure...is the same as those used internally in systems.

Louis

#3 Blaze413

Blaze413

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:43 PM

Don't worry about the reviews...most ppl who post reviews r ppl who get faulty drives...most ppl that have a perfectly working product don't review their products

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users