Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive running out of space when it isnt?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Henry2145

Henry2145

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:06 AM

I need help. I have a SSD as my boot drive, but it is suddenly running out of space. I tried cleaning, disk defragment, disk cleanup, and check my computer for viruses and malware, but there were none. I turned on the feature of seeing every fine on the computer, and when i go into the C: drive and add up how much files i have, the total i get is 42 gig out of 51 gigs. But when i open "my computer", it says i only have 2 gigs of empty space out of 51 gigs. Why does this happen? Is there a way to fix it/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:08 AM

Use an app such as treesize (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/) to see where the space is being used and we can go from there.

#3 Henry2145

Henry2145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:21 PM

Ok, i installed it and checked my hard drive. This is the results (ill post the folders that are over 1 GB). -- is the subfolders in that folder.
23.5 GB Windows
--10.9 GB winsxs
--4.1 GB System32
--2.9 GB Installer
--1.8 GB assembly
--1.2 GB sysWOW64
12.0 GB [Files]
--12.0 GB pagefile.sys
12.1 GB Program Files (x86)
--9.4 GB StarCraft II (I placed it here since it loads faster. And I had 10 gig free before)
4.0 GB Users
--3.8 GB AppData
--1.3 GB ProgramData

That seems to be it.

Edited by Henry2145, 29 July 2011 - 07:47 PM.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

I'll bet the rest is used by system restore files.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Henry2145

Henry2145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

I'll bet the rest is used by system restore files.

I have a program called Tuneup Utilities that i use to clean up the system restore points, but they are only a few MB.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:42 AM

according to your post you show:

"23.5 GB Windows
--10.9 GB winsxs
--4.1 GB System32
--2.9 GB Installer
--1.8 GB assembly
--1.2 GB sysWOW64
12.0 GB [Files]
--12.0 GB pagefile.sys
--9.4 GB StarCraft II (I placed it here since it loads faster. And I had 10 gig free before)
4.0 GB Users
--3.8 GB AppData
--1.3 GB ProgramData"

Trimming out the subfolders show
23.5 GB Windows
12.0 GB [Files]
4.0 GB Users
for a total of 51.6 GB used not 42Gb.

I should have added them up before suggesting system restore could be the culprit.
StarCraft II looks to be the culprit along with the pagefile.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

Try reducing the page file to 2 gigs. If you find that you need more space you can always increase it.

Reduce Pagefile

1. Open control panel and choose system and security.
2. Click on system
3. Click on Advanced system settings.
4. Click on advanced tab.
5. In the performance section click on settings.
6. Click on Advanced and choose Change in the Virtual Memory section.
7. Uncheck Automatically Manage Pagefile size
8. Select Custom and enter (size you want - 2GB = 2048MB) in both boxes and press Set, then click OK.
9. Restart your computer

Turn of the Hibernation setting

If you don't use hibernation you can turn it off and free up disk space.

1) Start --> All Programs --> Accessories

2) Righ click CMD.exe and click "run as admin"

3) type: powercfg -H off

4) Press Enter

5) Exit and restart your computer

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:53 PM

I suggest...that you cease using programs like Tuneup Utilities.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:
  • Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Louis

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Do you use hibernation?

#10 Henry2145

Henry2145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

Try reducing the page file to 2 gigs. If you find that you need more space you can always increase it.

What is pagefile.sys for?

Do you use hibernation?

I do not use hibernation, and i disabled it.

Edited by Henry2145, 30 July 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:57 PM

Pagefile is your virtual memory. Leave it alone.

#12 Henry2145

Henry2145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

Pagefile is your virtual memory. Leave it alone.

Is it safe to move it to another internal hard drive? Since I have another hard drive installed into my computer.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

Sure

#14 Henry2145

Henry2145
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:08 PM

Ok, i moved it, and that did the trick. Now, i have 12.6 gb free out of 51 gigs. Thanks to everyone that responded!

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,587 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

Glad you're happy :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users