Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant get laptop (windows XP) to connect to wireless network

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Azshmo

Azshmo

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:46 AM

The laptop is ADK brand. They are a small company.

Wireless

Router is Netgear, whatever comcast supplied us with last summer. Point is that it works with every other computer in the house.

Distance from the router is upstairs. I already tried it right next to the router. No difference.

Internet is cable.

Here is what I have noticed:

I try to set up the wireless as a preferred network. I know for a fact that the network name and password are correct. The password is all weird (encrypted?) so I'm pretty sure that means it is WPA. No, I know it is WPA because that's how I set it up on my roommates laptop last week. WPA2 actually.

When I set up the network as WPA or WPA-PSK (no idea what the PSK means), I confirm everything, and then try to join the network. It simply indefinitely says "connecting to network" or something like that. When I go back to the properties, it has switched itself to "open" and "WEP." Happens every time I try to switch it back to WPA. I checked my roomate's desktop which also runs XP, and her wireless network properties reads exactly the same. "Open" and "WEP." What's weirder is that the password is actually 2 characters shorter than it should be in that window. 8 characters instead of 10. Why? That doesnt make any sense. Yet my roomate's desktop has no problem connecting to the internet, while my laptop shows all the wireless networks and just hangs indefinitely when I try to connect. I'm out of ideas. Every time I try to connect to the internet on XP it's a new adventure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:23 PM

Is your laptops wireless adapter compatible with WPA encryption? PSK stands for pre shared key. Try disabling wireless security and see if you can connect then.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users